Hello from Finland

buick_toni

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Decided to step by to say hi. I just found the site a couple of days ago, and found lots of interesting threads and discussions. Lots of the fishing stuff talked here differ quite a bit from what we've used to here up north. Here we *mostly* go spin fishing and trolling (pike, zander, perch, salmon, trout etc.), as angling is still a bit minor thing here, although getting more popular all the time. Maybe I learn a bit more about fishing reading to other people's posts here, and maybe share a bit about how I fish here!

Personally I mostly go spin fishing for pike, but I also like float fishing and ledgering for bream, perch and all the other basic fishes here.

Tight lines to everyone! :)

PS. I also write a blog, the link is in my signature if anyone is interested ;) Not been very active yet, but this season is still early.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Hei - welcome to the mad-house.
Hope you enjoy yourself here and find something useful.
My friend from Hameen-Linna told me about fabulous Grayling (Harjus?) fishing in the north - but to beware of the midges which are even more vicious than those in Scotland :eek:
Tight Lines :thumbs:

buick_toni

Reaction score
Thank you all!

Yes, there is great fishing waters in Lapland. Good rivers to catch salmon, as well as smaller rivers, brooks, lakes and ponds to catch trout, arctic char, grayling (yes, harjus that is :)) just to name a few. Wish I'll make a fishing trip to Lapland some day, too...

And what comes to midges and mosquitos, there are enough to eat one alive (OK, not literally...) :eek: Well, maybe it's a good trade-off for the great fishing waters..? :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Welcome Toni, about 10 years ago I was invited to stay at a friends house somewhere between Turku and Tampere. We fished most days on a river like navigation channel between 2 huge lakes.
3m whips and worm on the float caught us mainly skimmers and perch.
We tried some small lures on other days but blanked.
2nd to last day I got stung by an angry wasp which got trapped under my collar.
Within a few minutes I was a quivering wreck unable to even shout to my friend a few metres upstream...
Luckily his wife happened to turn up and found me withering in the car park and whisked me off to a clinic.
Your lovely smiling nurses removed my shirt to find my upper torso bright lobster red and throbbing. ( not to mention my unbearably hot and itchy private parts:eek:)
Whilst words such as 'Urticaria' mixed with other incomprehensible utterings by the smiling lovely nurses as I lay there, they pulled out the biggest needle and syringe I'd ever seen and jabbed it firmly into my bum cheek..

All that aside you live in a beautiful country and I'd love to return one day...

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Welcome, Toni! Your contributions will be very welcome on Fishing Magic, be they 'thread' comments or full-size features on fishing in your country.

Cliff (Ed)

buick_toni

Reaction score
Hey Peter, doesn't sound very pleasant experience here in Finland! Hope you atleast enjoyed it before the wasp decided to take you down :D They can be pretty fierce sometimes... Hope if you ever get back here again, it will be better, especially fish-wise.

The fishing with short poles (usually 3-6m) sounds like so-called mato-onginta (rough translation: worm angling). This is how most of us Finns get into fishing. I still remember when going fishing as a child, we used to cut down a few meters long rowan or willow, tie a line with a traditional polystyrene bobber (way too big...) and dig up some worms in the forest. We mostly caught small perch, roach and sometimes even bream, which then seemed to be HUGE (~500-1000g) :)

The Runner

Reaction score
Lovely country you've got, the top end is just about my favourite place on Earth.

Up until a couple of years ago, worked for a week or so in early winter every year for about ten years in Rovaniemi and Sodankyla (no, I'm not Santa...) with the odd visit to Helsinki and have done four solo long distance walking hols much further North.(Kaldoaivi twice, Muotkatunturi and Kevo)
Fancy doing it again if I get the chance but fishing a lot more as all I've done is a bit of spinning with a travel rod tucked into the rucksack. Still had some nice fish though.

Really want to catch a burbot but by all accounts they're not too easy to find in summer

buick_toni

Reaction score
Thank you all!
Yes, Lapland is indeed very beautiful place, hope I'll go fish there too some times! For myself, I live in central Finland, so pretty different than the northest parts.

In central Finland we mostly have dry pine forests and coniferous forests. But for a fisherman this is a good place to live.
Almost anywhere you'll not need go further than 5km to find some kind of lake, pond, river or other stream to fish! And usually more than one :)

Lately I've not driven more than 15km every fishing trip, and I've already visited four different lakes, and there are dozens and dozens more than I've visited inside that given distance!
They call it "The Land of Thousand Lakes" for a reason!

In addition to smaller waters the town I live in is located next to one of our major lakes, which I use to go fishing and where my boat is located. Actually I got my record pike (4650g) there last saturday!
(Wrote a blog post, if anyones interested.)

And what comes to burbot, we usually fish them in winter nights! That would be an experience, if you want to try something "traditional"! :rolleyes:

(Small trivia about burbot fishing)
Last year fishing burbot with "madehara" was banned and for a reason, if you ask me!
Basically it's a lump of lead with hooks on sides and dead fish as a bait. You bounce in on the bottom and as the fish comes looking it gets caught from its lower jaw.
Now people have to use jig heads and such with fish bait. I'm not an fishing ethics preacher, but that is much more "fishing" in my oppinion!