''How long is your average days fishing''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
That is given no restraints. I am aware that certain branches of the sport can be more exhausting than others, but what do you consider to be ''your'' average time per outing? Obviously age and fitness will play an important role. Nontheless it should prove interesting to hear the opinions of others.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Longer daylight hours then a minimum of 8 hours, in winter I invariably fish through to last light.

robtherake

Reaction score
Most of my stints are short: probably 4-6 hours. I can't put the time in because of life's restrictions, so I fish at the best times rather than the whole day.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Normally 10.30am - 3.30pm. As the fish are there 24 hours a day, if I haven't had a decent catch in that amount of time I must be doing something wrong.......................

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I try not to have any hard and fast rule about how long I will fish for.

Also, it depends a lot on what species and how I am going to fish that will decide on the length.

For example a Roach session on my local river will be anything from 2 to 5 hours but starting just before first light, or 3 to 4 hours from early evening to dankness.

Alternatively a whole day and night at least on a lake for Tench or Carp is almost mandatory these days.

From the beginning of the Close Season until about late August/early September then I fish exclusively for Trout, so typically I will fish for 2 to 4 hours in them morning then take a long break for lunch and then get another 3 or 4 hours in before quitting for the day.

Long gone are the days when I fished from first light to walking back to the car in the pitch dark . . . . . sadly.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My sessions can be anything from an hour to ninety six. However, I tend to prefer the short, sharp stuff of six hours or less. Only if I'm paying for day tickets, traveling a decent distance, or fishing a big gravel pit do I tend to do much longer.

Keith M

Reaction score
Most of the year I fish shortish 3 to 5 hour evening sessions from around 4pm onwards and into the dark, and I also fish a few shortish early morning sessions after Tench in the spring and early summer.

I only tend to fish right through the middle of the day during the shorter winter months, and then only when conditions look favourable..

Now that I am retired, I can go whenever conditions look good and at a moments notice so I no longer need to restrict most of my fishing to weekends.

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

I reckon around ten to twelve hours as an average over a year, dawn to dusk for the darker months and barring a handful of the same around the start of the season probably twelve to fourteen hours during the lighter months.

All offset by a few shorter evening sessions occasionally after work.

bolts

Reaction score
Mostly matches 10 - 3pm or practice for a match on venues I haven't fished before which i Try to fish the same times.

I struggle to get long pleasure sessions now :(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
These days on average 3 hrs, if I have blanked I pack up, not a good attention span; it wears off after 3 hrs of blanking.-stay longer if they are biting.

daniel121

Reaction score
On average I'd say 5-6 hours, have a lot of four hour sessions in the winter and a few 7-8 hour in the summer but on average I'd say in between 5 and 6 hours.

The above times are fishing hours, not setting/packing up

rubio

Reaction score
Most likely around 2 hours after work is typical, tho I do enjoy a wander along the river and will fish over a longer time period but often end up actually fishing for just 2/3 hours anyway.
Yesterday I did a bit of fish spotting for nearly 2 hours and fished for only an hour.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I rarely fish all day unless its a "special" trip. Typically 4-5 hours I would guess and at optimum times ie morning or evening. Nearly all my trips involve a bit of travel so anything shorter than that just isn't viable.

Dawn to dusk [even in winter] just isn't a go-er for me anymore. Too old, too creaky and not crazy enough.

john step

Reaction score
I reckon around ten to twelve hours as an average over a year, dawn to dusk for the darker months and barring a handful of the same around the start of the season probably twelve to fourteen hours during the lighter months.

All offset by a few shorter evening sessions occasionally after work.

Blimy Binka you must be on the Philisan:wh

rayner

Reaction score
In winter approximately 5hrs from Spring onwards perhaps 9hrs, times can vary but on average I like all day.
If I could cope I would fish every day minus weekends, I only fish midweek.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Very much dependant on species and time of year...

Shortest: a 2 hour winter chub trip, sometimes half an hour of that is spent walking the bank and feeding swims, before settling somewhere good for the witching hour. I will often go home as soon as I've caught one (they tend to be big on the thames)

Middle: a 10 or 12 hour day on a lake - tench, carp, a bit of everything. Me and 3 mates have a couple of trips a year where we'll fish somewhere with attached accommodation for 3 days, no night fishing involved but it's certainly easier to get up and go knowing that your gear is already set up and by the water!

Mental: 18 hours or so - sunrise to sunset - on the Wye in mid-summer, barbel and chub in mind. There's just nothing to beat that feeling of tramping all the river during the dawn's first light, knowing that you'll be on the river until 10pm or later. The beginning and end of the day tend to be most productive, though I've seen enough barbel caught at 1pm on a sunny day to make a mockery of this. Can be a bit gruelling, but it's a very short season as once the school holidays arrive, so do flotillas of canoes and you're back to fishing mornings and evenings...