Magic bread

chrissh

Reaction score
Mosella Magic Bread or chaillou pain

Have any of you out there used this bread for bait and is it as good as they say...its meant to stay on the hook and it's saying that it can used with a pellet band ....

https://www.youtube.com › watching

image3.jpeg

View image in gallery

image.gif

View image in gallery

lee_j

Reaction score
Gotta be a wind up :confused: is it bread with 12 coats of fabsil on it ?.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mosella Magic Bread has been around for years. I hate the "is it on or not?" aspect of fishing with bread, so I have used it. I'm not convinced that it's any more effective than bog standard bread, but it certainly stays on longer and withstands casting better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl7EVVFLhL8

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I seldom use it, as I seldom cast far or run out of ordinary bread, but I usually carry some. I once had nine fish on the same bit of bread, so yes, they like it, and yes, it stays on!
Whoops, that refers only to the Mosella stuff, not tried the chaillou yet.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As per the above, yes it (Mosella) does work (have not tried the other) and it's handy to carry around 'just in case'. I've found it particularly effective on a banded hair as a slow sinker for carp 'up in the water' at distance.

rayner

Reaction score
If I'm using bread I want fresh sliced every time.
The Mosella stuff may work I believe what folk who say's it does but fresh bread has always worked so that'll do for me.
If you want something to keep in your bag for just incase magic sounds OK.

john step

Reaction score
For casting bread flake with a bit of vigour for distance....try a Korum cylindrical bait cage on a hair. Just gently roll a bit of bread into a pencil shape and poke it up the cage. Leave a bit poking out both ends.

It will expand like flake does and poke through the holes. Also tiddler proof.
You can use the Enterprise round cages but they are more fiddly.

Sorry for the prolific use of the word poke...honestly...its not continually on my mind:D

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Sounds a bit Del Boy to me.
Four quid for a 50gm loaf
You slice it up then soak it in water so it resembles a . . .

slice of bread?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Yes, but one 1cm slice will give you "I shall NOT run out of bait" peace of mind for months, and when you finally do need it, it'll last a good while - you seldom have to replace it unless you catch; and if that happens, it's done its job.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
What if you forget to take it with you?
I've never run out of bait.

rubio

Reaction score
Ran out some years ago of my one purchase of 'pain magicque'. I bought it in France. Used it in much the way stated, occasionally. It does work for sure but I still prefer fresh bread. Keeps very well to if you keep moisture out. I can't say for certain as it was sometime ago, but I think I had it for 4/5 years.
Cut it with a piece of nylon line in case you didn't know already.

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, but one 1cm slice will give you "I shall NOT run out of bait" peace of mind for months, and when you finally do need it, it'll last a good while - you seldom have to replace it unless you catch; and if that happens, it's done its job.

A fresh loaf is cheap enough, I've never not had enough.
But for anyone who rarely uses bread it may do just fine. I take a loaf and if I don't use any I save it and use as mashed bread next trip even if it goes furry.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
When I go for a wander I like to take one or two sliced of prepared "wet buppy" and a takeaway box of mashed bread and bran; maybe a slice or two of fresh bread to chew, for added enzymes, and a bit of white crumb for if the mash gets too soggy, so, though I've not run out yet, lately, it can be a close-run thing. Hence the lightweight insurance value of a slice of the Magic stuff.
The point I was trying to make without being too blunt about it, though, is that if so notorious a tightwad as I makes sure they've got some in the bag, it's probably good stuff.
It also gives you a change bait - if they're having the bread properly, you won't need the magic stuff, but if they're in need of persuasion - "Eet's waffair theen" - then a smidgen of Magic Bread can be heap powerful medicine.

If I'm trolleying a shedful of kit to sit in one place, I'll make dam' sure I have enough bread for the trip, but I still like knowing there's a change I can ring without having to switch methods completely.

OK, confession time - I'm so mean that, if I think it's time to try the Magic bread, I break a little bit off the corner of each flavour I carry, soak them, and find out which one works before committing a whole slice to the water.:D

Mithrandir

Reaction score
So any of you got good alternatives to ordinary bread. Returning to fishing after a long break and had a diagnosis of coeliac. So bread crumbs everywhere will make me ill. So I am looking for options.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
So any of you got good alternatives to ordinary bread. Returning to fishing after a long break and had a diagnosis of coeliac. So bread crumbs everywhere will make me ill. So I am looking for options.

My brother in law is coeliac, so I presume that you have to ingest gluten for it to make you ill? I know he has no problem handling bread, he makes normal butties for others often enough. Unsurprisingly, he's rather fastidious about cleaning up and possible cross-contamination.

Having experienced his prescription gluten free bread, I suspect that you'd have no chance of using it as a hookbait. I'm positive that it would be perfect for crumb though. It has a tendency to crumble at the merest provocation. Getting it to bind might be an issue though. Probably a very expensive way of going about things too.