''If you could''.

steve2

Reaction score
No one famous, just those old school fishing friends and relive those now far off days. Sometimes meeting your hero’s can unfortunately be a big let down.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ivan Marks; having written his biography there are one or two unanswered questions.....

I did meet him and watch him fish a number of times. Hoping to fish with one or two of the Likely Lads sometime, perhaps this year.

bracket

Reaction score
Frank Barlow. We could have a good craic and a session at Trent Lock followed by an even longer session in the pub, just like the Old Days. Plus I might get that £10 back he owes me(dream on)?.Pete.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Keith Speer. A good mate and real fun to fish witj.

Taken too early. I think of him every time I'm trotting a river.

Graham

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Would have to be Mr Crabtree for me..

I'd tell the old git to stuff it if he tried to get me on the bank again in my school blazer and shorts in mid January...
Then make me wait for my hot evening meal while he spitroasted Patsy over the dinner table....

Keith M

Reaction score
I would like to go back to the 16th century and have a day or two fishing with Isaak Walton fishing along his (and my) beloved river Lea.
It would be great to be able to take my modern tackle with me to show him how far we had progressed.

Keith

B

binka

Difficult one.

Ivan Marks or John Dean spring to mind as does Kevin Ashurst, to name but a few.

I think Chris Yates would be an interesting companion for a day and a little off the beaten track, I might go for that.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I would like to have fished with Henry Sullivan Thomas in India for Mahseer. Would be nice to see how different the fishing and wildlife was in those times...

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I bet if **** Walker was still alive he would have wished he could have had a days fishing with Ron Clay.....

seth49

Reaction score
I would love another days fishing with my good friend Andy Robbins, he sadly passed away from a heart attack at the age of forty six.

A brilliant all round angler. He taught me a lot about coarse fishing.

A great friend who's sadly missed, still think of him every day, it's now just over six years since he died.

RIP mate.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to have fished with a good many of the well known anglers over the last 30 years or so, including the late Jan Porter (even beating him off the next peg in a match in Norway ;) ) and many of the European "stars" as well.

For me then this is a very difficult choice as there have been so many who I have admired in the different disciplines.

From a match angling standpoint then it would have to be Jean Desque (although I fished against him in Sweden a few times, I never fished "with" him) His amazing dedication to detail and his absolute concentration were to be simply admired.

From the specimen standpoint then there would only be one choice, Richard S Walker . . . . and if I could chose the location then the Evening Swim on Redmire.
But, if I were to be allowed a second along for the day then, it would have to be Fred J Taylor

Many on here know that I love my cane rods and centrepin reels as well as modern tackle so from a "Traditionalist" standpoint then again, only one possible choice . . . . Chris Yates - I have met him on a few occasions but have never fished with him; I think it would be a truly memorable day . . . .

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I dont know any of the modern anglers much, not reading the press or following the match scene so I will opt for J H R Bazley (twice all England champion etc) from the 30's era. And only because I read his book and I think spending a day with him would be really interesting plus I think he could teach me a thing or two even today. But first choice would have to be Isak Walton, just imagine how fascinating that would be as well; I would just wallow in a day with him spellbound and totally dumbstruck or gob smacked to use the modern parlance I am sure.

Last edited: