My Second match of the year...

fishplate42

Reaction score
Nice weather, lots of fish and not many bites, but lots of action! See the full story HERE.

I think the fish were just soaking up the sun :( Nobody told them they were supposed to be taking the bait :confused: I came 8th - so that was about par for me - I am really looking forward to next month's match, I hope the fish are hungry by then!

Ralph.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It takes quite a while to plan and get your kit laid out in the most efficient manner when match fishing, but once you have a set-up that you are comfortable with, and with everything to hand, then you will spend more time with a baited hook in the water . . . . . .

daniel121

Reaction score
Hey up Ralph:)

I think you may be over thinking your "set up" mate, ultimately all that's important is you have everything to hand and know where everything is in your draws/boxes. If you think about what I typed on the other forum about where your rollers and pole sock/clip should be everything else is pretty much where ever you can easily get to it.

You'll get quicker setting up with practice, I can set up 2 or 3 rods in a matter of minutes. My match fishing as you may recall was done before carp became the fish of target. However I'd say your best best on days like your story described would be shallow fishing, maybe a bit of dobbing and a catch everything maggot/caster line.

I find fish attract fish mate :)

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hey up Ralph:)

I think you may be over thinking your "set up" mate, ultimately all that's important is you have everything to hand and know where everything is in your draws/boxes. If you think about what I typed on the other forum about where your rollers and pole sock/clip should be everything else is pretty much where ever you can easily get to it.

You'll get quicker setting up with practice, I can set up 2 or 3 rods in a matter of minutes. My match fishing as you may recall was done before carp became the fish of target. However I'd say your best best on days like your story described would be shallow fishing, maybe a bit of dobbing and a catch everything maggot/caster line.

I find fish attract fish mate :)

I think it is not so much about "over thinking" (but there could be some of that going on ;)) more thinking it out the wrong way around. I have been trying to work out where to put the accessories rather than where to put the tackle.

I need somewhere to put my bait and essential tools, my rods and top kits, landing and keep nets and my pole. Therefore all I need is a table to my left, with a roost beyond that, a gap on my right so I can walk off the seat without stepping over anything and somewhere for 'emergency' tackle. The gap is made by using a long, double ripple bar with a pole sock on the far thread and a small 'V' roller on the near one to ship out on or provide support if required.

I may also use a feeder support on the front left footplate leg.

I also discovered that an accessory bar along the front makes it easier to attach nets in a position that suits me and provides the option to add additional nets - if I ever catch enough fish to warrant that!

I also use a long keepnet fitting, secured in the vertical position with a butt rest on top to support the landing net. I might try fitting a small 'V' roller instead to help shipping out the net on a long handle.

The rather ramshackle setup sown in my recent post was photographed after I had packed away my pole after the match but this is sort of how it will be next time out. I just need to balance the tables, roost and bait trays.

I will get there eventually... :rolleyes:

Ralph.

daniel121

Reaction score
Roller to roll your landing net handle out out that a new one. You could brand it the dog roller :D

Only kidding Ralph keep smiling and trying Ralph.To be honest I think with the effort you put in you will soon be a competant matchman :thumbs:

fishplate42

Reaction score
"Roller to roll your landing net handle out out that a new one"

Somebody reads my posts then - I was just seeing if somebody would bite. There are so many fittings and whatsits to fit to a box it is madness - I though a V-roller for my landing net might raise a smile.

All joking aside, I have a mate who uses one, down low on his accessory bar, as he suffers from arthritis in his wrist and can't manage the net comfortably single-handed any more.

Ralph - still smiling :)