This weekend... What are you doing?

B

binka

It seems as though everything has conspired at the same time to back me into a “can’t refuse” situation this weekend and I’m currently at that stage of anticipation and excitement, hoping that it doesn’t outstrip the reality.

And…

You’ve got to be in it to win it.

With my regular fishing partner out of commission I have a free hand and with the combination of a high overnight temperature on a deep lake, where I’ve suffered a few strange runs and twitchy bite-offs which I’m convinced weren’t pike whilst fishing for perch, I’ve decided to do a night session for a big snig or two.

Everything just seems perfect, add a couple of good thunderstorms around late afternoon for good measure and the scene should be well and truly set.

It's a fair few years since I last fished for eels with any real intent and it should make for an interesting night.

I’m currently working on a motley mix of munga which is 50/50 riddled seed compost and Dynamite Black which will be dampened using a bag of liquidised roach and half a kilo of liquidised worm with another quarter mixed in as fine chop along with a few diced roach bits. A generous dash of Pred Plus for the cloud effect and it's good to go.

Traces are already tied with roach head to one rod and worm to the other with low resistance running rigs and ultra-lightweight boobins at the ready, the intention is to change over to perch rigs around an hour after dawn on Sunday morning to have the remaining few hours on those before I call it a day around mid-morning after a nice, big, al fresco fried breakfast :cool:

If I don’t manage to bag a snig I can’t really use the excuse that it was because they were spawning!

It’s the best weekend weather of the year so far, will you be making the most of it and getting out… And if so, where and what for?

rayner

Reaction score
Apart from the odd match I haven't fished at week ends for around 16 years and all my fishing is mid week.
I've already mention about 500 times :D I avoid the sun so will not miss not being in the forecasted weather
Saturday will be TV football "Exiting" and Sunday will be BBQ in the shade. I'll fish Monday and Wednesday also in the shade and pray for a quiet day hoping to be left alone.

terry m

Reaction score
I have not wet a line since mid-March and that is not likely to change until June, and late June at that.

Saturday is the last game of the season at the Recreation Ground to cap off a truly dire season for beloved Bath Rugby. We are playing Leicester so the pain is likely to continue.

Sunday off to Heathrow and flying out for two weeks work in Sydney and Auckland. Fishing takes a real back seat at this time of the year by design.

BTW - good luck with the eels Binka, can't help feeling it is a little too early but you never know!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This coming weekend will not be for fishing as I don't fish in the Close Season for coarse fish and my Trout season is still yet to begin as I have to wait another week for the first line wetting on my beat . . . . . .

So, I will be firing up the BBQ (after a thoroughly good clean) and hope this lovely weather lasts for a couple of days more . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have yet to go again for some time, fly gear ready for a bit of that once I get started and thinking about some beach fishing as well, neglected it for some time. Visiting relatives in dread city this weekend, but a barbecue planned for Sunday.
As to the fishing, it may disappoint, a lot of easterly wind about and the color might have dropped out with the recent dry spell. The sudden rise in temperature may just put the fish down a bit as well..
Everyone's favorite, bream; might be the choice for the conditions. Arnt I just the killjoy, have a nice weekend Binka with snots cousin, the eel; seriously hope you snag a few' they do fight; smoke a few if you can; not literally..

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Having said good bye to house guests I had intended going Sunday afternoon, but my head would not be in the right place...sort of rushed and no time to enjoy the build up after a week of entertaining.
So it will be down to a very early am start on Monday ( around 5ish on the bank ) and a relaxing day after crucians. No problem at all if they fail to turn up as I will just sit back and enjoy the total pleasure of just being there once more, if that's not too corny !

A week is a long time in fishing...................

ps Have a great time Binka, sound like a great plan and I hope it works out..

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Binka. Good luck with that. I'd pay not to see an eel on the end of my line!

I'll be umpiring my first game in Herefordshire in the Marches first division.

At Goodrich which I understand has a stunning ground. Quite a few law changes from the old Chiltern League I looked after.

The carp in a nearby lake were pairing up today.

Chefster

Reaction score
I,m fishing the 1st round of a local series"King of the Toft",this round is on the carp lake,we fish 4 on there ,and 2 on the silverfish lake...24 anglers,split into 4 sections of 6,and points awarded for section wins, down...Some really good anglers on it,and im hoping to better my 10th position from last year,although there was 28 on it last year:D..Sunday im spending the day at home,doing the garden etc,and prepping my gear and bait for open matches on monday and tuesday,and Friday at Tunnel Barn Farm..tight lines everyone,Gazza:D

Steve King

Reaction score
This weekend I was down to work 9.00 to 13.00 on Saturday, but alas I have got a bout of sciatica and can't sit down! This morning I hobbled to the GP and the chemist with the aid of a stick!

I was also due to visit Biobank on Sunday for body scan as I'm a participant in their research programme, however the drive to Stockport is around two hours or so and is out of the question.

I might try a bit of stand up fishing! :cool::D

Gardening is out and so is decorating the downstairs toilet ceiling following a minor plumbing mishap! if I don't go stand up fishing I may have to go for a long walk, but that will involve passing several pubs and the painkillers don't mix with booze!:(

ken more

Reaction score
It seems as though everything has conspired at the same time to back me into a “can’t refuse” situation this weekend and I’m currently at that stage of anticipation and excitement, hoping that it doesn’t outstrip the reality.

And…

You’ve got to be in it to win it.

With my regular fishing partner out of commission I have a free hand and with the combination of a high overnight temperature on a deep lake, where I’ve suffered a few strange runs and twitchy bite-offs which I’m convinced weren’t pike whilst fishing for perch, I’ve decided to do a night session for a big snig or two.

Everything just seems perfect, add a couple of good thunderstorms around late afternoon for good measure and the scene should be well and truly set.

It's a fair few years since I last fished for eels with any real intent and it should make for an interesting night.

I’m currently working on a motley mix of munga which is 50/50 riddled seed compost and Dynamite Black which will be dampened using a bag of liquidised roach and half a kilo of liquidised worm with another quarter mixed in as fine chop along with a few diced roach bits. A generous dash of Pred Plus for the cloud effect and it's good to go.

Traces are already tied with roach head to one rod and worm to the other with low resistance running rigs and ultra-lightweight boobins at the ready, the intention is to change over to perch rigs around an hour after dawn on Sunday morning to have the remaining few hours on those before I call it a day around mid-morning after a nice, big, al fresco fried breakfast :cool:

If I don’t manage to bag a snig I can’t really use the excuse that it was because they were spawning!

It’s the best weekend weather of the year so far, will you be making the most of it and getting out… And if so, where and what for?

Good luck with the plan mate, but can you tell anything about the word "snig" which i take is an eel, as iv'e never heard it before:) Thanks

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Work Saturday then the first club fixture of the season on the GUC Sunday ..
Having spent the last 4 days working I haven't been able to get to the tackle shop so I'll be scraping the barrel bait wise. 3 week old maggots and pinkies and a few worms of a similar vintage in the bait/beer fridge. Got a fresh white sliced loaf today and a good bag of frozen liquy in the freezer so it could be iffy but with 25 degrees sunshine forecast it should be a pleasant day..

B

binka

Good luck with the plan mate, but can you tell anything about the word "snig" which i take is an eel, as iv'e never heard it before:) Thanks

I'm afraid I have no idea of the word's origins Ken, I've heard eels being referred to as "snigs" for as long as I can remember.

There are various references on google but none that really convince me of a definite source.

ken more

Reaction score
I'm afraid I have no idea of the word's origins Ken, I've heard eels being referred to as "snigs" for as long as I can remember.

There are various references on google but none that really convince me of a definite source.

No worries and thanks for the reply binka:)

lambert1

Reaction score
Good luck Steve. Like Graham, I would not target Eels. I once caught a large one whilst fishing after a thunderstorm for Chub. It snaffled a piece of cheese and led me a right dance and unhooking it was not a pleasant experience:( I know you know how to make them lie still and I only wish I had known that too! I will not be wetting a line until June either, but I am at least adding to my tackle collection and reading up:D Tight lines and hope you land a bigun.

robtherake

Reaction score

I've always understood snigs to be small eels; the kind whose gyrations can trash a trace in seconds. :mad:

B

binka

I've always understood snigs to be small eels; the kind whose gyrations can trash a trace in seconds. :mad:

You may well be right Rob, I came across something to that effect whilst searching.

Another result came up as "snigging"... To drag a long object such as a chain along the ground, so not sure if there is a crude similarity there maybe? :confused:

I think Ken has started something 'ere... :)

The Runner

Reaction score
Not been out at all since mid March but looks like I could be on working party duty on Sunday on one of our lakes if I can get away.
Looking at the weather forecast might not be the best weekend to volunteer for wheelbarrow duties with about five tons of aggregate ....

robtherake

Reaction score
Spending the weekend at a campsite in Northallerton. It's less than an hour away, so it's an ideal shakedown for the van after a bit of an overhaul: new timing belts and a full service; new (legal) rear seat belts; a wired rear view/reversing camera; new sat nav and a gigantic rear-mounted ally storage box that solves the problem of getting fishing gear in and out of the cabin without waking the other occupants. It adds a couple of feet to the back, but I can live with that since the van's already 24ft long. At 6' 8" wide it'll swallow 2-piece 12 footers with ease.

The site has a couple of small lakes and there are rumours of notable stripeys, so I've dug a bait box's worth of worms and laid in some prawns. If the perch aren't in the mood there are always stacks of puddle pigs to play with - first time out for a few months so anything'll do. :)

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I won't be doing that much. I will hop around the snooker table tomorrow morning for an hour or so, if the ankle holds up.

Grand daughter coming in the afternoon and she will stay until sometime sunday afternoon.

So i will be lead a merry dance as always, but i wouldn't miss it for the world.

Away next Friday for 3 days Tench fishing, can't wait.