baitrunner spooling

xenon

Reaction score
just got myself a new bait runner (2500 FB). thing is, the from of the lip has a weird chamfer on it-like a 45 angle point inwards and downwards. Not sure the best way of loading this as if i go only up to the point where the chamfer starts the line will be a few short of the outer lip. confused.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You load it so your line fills the spool up to the bottom of the slanted lip, no more.

xenon

Reaction score
Cheers Tigger-thought that might be the case-font suppose i will lose that much distance on the cast (not that my fishing actually involves much distance work anyway)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers Tigger-thought that might be the case-font suppose i will lose that much distance on the cast (not that my fishing actually involves much distance work anyway)

Apparently the angled lip on the spool helps casting so should ( in theory there's less drag on the lip) help you cast further. I have a few shimmy reels with a sloping lip as you describe, including a 2500 baitrunner reel and have found them to be very good.

xenon

Reaction score
Apparently the angled lip on the spool helps casting so should ( in theory there's less drag on the lip) help you cast further. I have a few shimmy reels with a sloping lip as you describe, including a 2500 baitrunner reel and have found them to be very good.
indeed Tigger, thats why i got one because the forerunner (2500 DB) i have had for a few years and have been pleased with its performance-it just threw me a bit having that sloping lip as it appears to fly in the face of received wisdom about always loading up to the lip.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
tigger....Just a quick question:

When loading line, does the traverse of the spool take the line up to the ' edge ' of the bottom of the sloping section, and then stop at that point before returning ?

In other words, if you continued to load line, would it run up that slope as well ?? ( if you see what I mean !! )

I can see the slope might reduce drag but also see thicker line peeling off the spool as well......

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

When loading line, does the traverse of the spool take the line up to the ' edge ' of the bottom of the sloping section, and then stop at that point before returning ?

In other words, if you continued to load line, would it run up that slope as well ?? ( if you see what I mean !! )

I can see the slope might reduce drag but also see thicker line peeling off the spool as well......

I've never tried loading line beyond the bottom of the chamfered lip Tee Cee as you'just be seriously overloading your spool, which would without doubt cause line to peel off the spool.

Up to now i've not used line a over 10lb (appart from heavier braid on a 2500 stradic) and have had no issues with the line springing off the spool, if that's what you mean.

xenon

Reaction score

Tee Cee-i can tell you having done just that (hence the posted enquiry) that the line does fill the space -but only by virtue of having a dead space to fill-consequently the line is slack and loose-will be reloading it this afternoon to avoid that.