Testing pike tubes

wa1115

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but here goes, I have recently tied some pike flies to tube NO HOOK, and want to test them on local water, where do I stand regarding the law as no hooks on and no licence yet as waiting for rivers to open. Will it be classed as fishing as not going to land anything with no hooks involved I just want go test the action on them. I have messaged local bailiff but no response yet.
Cheers.

john step

Reaction score
I suspect you cannot be classed as fishing any more than someone chucking a weed rake out but....depending where you are and who sees you , you could be inviting hassle.

You could always try them out somewhere that does permit fishing this time of year whilst you are on an actual fishing trip??

wa1115

Reaction score
Just had reply for local bailiff, he said "You need a hook to need a licence so I will be OK" only reason not got licence yet is due to being an outpatient at hospital and got a cannular hanging out my arm and they have categorically told me no fishing until its out on the 27th of this month. Will be out testing action on them now tho seen as not classed as fishing ?

wa1115

Reaction score
I know but I haven't chucked anything for nearly 3 months, dying to do something. The kayak has been hanging up since I got it so that needs christening as well. A few practice casts can't hurt, can it? (As long as I don't fall in!)

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I know but I haven't chucked anything for nearly 3 months, dying to do something. The kayak has been hanging up since I got it so that needs christening as well. A few practice casts can't hurt, can it? (As long as I don't fall in!)

Hummm i have just spotted a very dangerous word above Kayak :wh
Oh ohh chango ! :eek:mg:

PG ...

wa1115

Reaction score
Haha I knew it might ruffle a few feathers once I put Kayak, only got it for none accessible fishing spots from the bank.

wa1115

Reaction score
Haha will see when I get out on it...

lee_j

Reaction score
A bottle of nice single malt piped direct into the cannula and off you go in the kayak , what could go wrong :thumbs:

thecrow

Reaction score
I know nothing about fly fishing or pike tubes but wont they have a different action with and without hooks attached?

What river are you thinking of trying them out on?

wa1115

Reaction score
I know nothing about fly fishing or pike tubes but wont they have a different action with and without hooks attached?

What river are you thinking of trying them out on?

Not much of a difference in action basically I have snipped the hook end off, just left the shaft on, its a local stretch of canal if I can call it that, its open all year to fish so not closed or anything. No pike in my local river well not at my end but few miles up its a different story ?