All Night ? All Right?

P

Phil Hatton

Very thought provoking article I enjoyed it a lot.A couple of thoughts on the subject.I used to night fish a water in Cheshire a few years ago and to be honest I rarely caught between 1am and dawn.The real advantage was that I was able to settle in my chosen swim , get set up and get some feed down in time for the early morning feeding spell.I found this much better than arriving in the dark and trying to organise myself with all the associated disturbance that inevitably followed.As for the marathon session boys and swim hogging,water dominating tactics then I guess it's up to the club/owner to set out clear guidelines with due regard for short stay anglers

C

Chris Bishop

If this is about pike/zander fishing please don't kip on the rods - I don't see how on earth you can avoid deep hooking, especially this time of year when they're feeding hard.

C

Carp Angler

I had 2 carp in France last year on our DDI trip.
The first was at 3.15 am and the second was at 1.30 am.

Days only fishing keeps you more focused, but fishing throughout the night allows you to set traps in margin and shallow areas that day time carp don't visit.(or don't feed in)

J

john conway

Kevin to answer your main point is fishing between 23:00hrs and 03:00 productive, in my case the answer would have to be yes. I’ve caught between those hours but probably not quite as many fish as the first two hours of dusk and dawn, but never the less I’ve caught. At this point I must say that 99% of my night fishing is on the river and canal. I very rarely see other anglers and rarely put in more than 12 hours. I couldn’t afford to pack in at 23:00hrs drive home then get up at 02:00hrs to be back at the river for dawn. So fishing through the night is practical as well as economical. As for setting up some sort of base camp it’s very rare that I even take a brolly and for a 12 hours session I’m awake all the time. I assume your having a bit of a bash at the carp lads, but if that’s what turns them on, then it’s OK by me. Like Phil says it’s up to the owner of the fishery to stop swim hogs. Banning night fishing or limiting it for the sake of the few that abuse it is just throwing the baby out with the bath water. But there again Kevin your only joking aren’t you Ha Ha Ha …………

J

john conway

Just thinking about what you said Rik about ambushing carp in the margins. On my local canal that is very popular with the locals and tourist, catching any carp is impossible during the daytime. The only time to catch is in the dark.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Rik
Are those two 'Foreigners' the only carp you have caught fishing through the night?
If so - what are you doing the rest of the time???
John
I'm not having a go at carpers in particular - note the reference to the late, great Alan Wilson (Tench, Bream, Roach etc.)
There were Forum threads on 'Tackle Tarts' recently, I believe there are just as many 'Technique Tarts' to be found. They will scour the angling press for the very latest bait/rig combination and then flog it to death, because if they fail it can't be their fault - can it?
With regard to your own experience of fishing canals, then you are to be applauded for taking the time to find an approach that works. My objection is to anglers who sit in swims for days on end doing, and achieving nothing at all, Difficult to say, but somrtimes you have to put some effort (mental & physical) into fishing in order to obtain results.

J

john conway

It’s not just the canal but the river also for the same reasons, but like I said, I rarely put in more than 12 hours. Having said that I have done the odd three-day session on the Norfolk Broads and a carp pond down south. This Friday gone I caught a Grass Carp just after 23:00hrs and my mate caught two, one at 23:30hrs and the other at 01:00hrs. What you’re talking about is not really my scene, but I have to ask myself should I be judging others who do things differently. If you’ve got the knowledge to find the fish using a variety of techniques should you judge someone who’s not as gifted but has found his own way of getting big fish by just sitting it out? I’m somewhat wary about seeming to be an elitist.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Most of my fish come during the hours of darkness. As many of you know, i like me bream fishing and these are predominantly nocturnal. Was only chatting this weekend when fishing with Phil Smith and Steph Horak as to why some waters produce only after dark and in the main a waste of time during the day. Take Blenhiem, you can keep the bream coming all day long, go on to Startops, unlikely you will catch during daylight hours. Take the last two weekends, i've seen bream to 15lb 8oz, all between 9.20pm and 3am, daylight breaks and they dissapear. I spent many a weekend on the Fens zander fishing, again, nearly all my zander have come after dark. Anyhow, i enjoy 'my' style of fishing and certainly enjoy my night fishing a great deal. If Alan was on the pier for six weeks the so be it, he paid his money and the rules allowed it. I pay in the region of 700- 800 quid a year for my tickets and the last thing i want is having a 24 hour or so limit on 'my' fishing. Just managed to get em in the swim, got em feeding then "Oi, you best be packing up fella, 24/12 hours in a swim only mate". I'd be gutted, packing me kit away for someone else to move in. All night is ALRIGHT with me and long may it continue to be, nuff said!

R

Ron Clay

I had a long talk with Tref West on the weekend about barbel habits and night feeding. Tref reckons that you don't have to fish at night for barbel if you can locate them. He rarely fishes for longer that 15 minutes in a spot if he doesn't get a fish.

I intend to do a lot of roving on the Trent this coming season and I don't fancy moving swims in the middle of the night at my age ang on that treacherous bank.

The other problem is that the Trent bank is a lonely place at night. You don't see an angler for miles, even in summer at weekends.

I the old days in South Africa I used to carry a back up piece. They're not allowed in UK.

B

Brian Lewis

For some years I've felt that fishing through the night(for me)was less productive than the day and I no longer do it. I think partly because the boy scout in me is diminishing with age and secondly as I have grown to like my creature comforts too much. However, each to his own and if the rules allow it then fine, even if us daybreak anglers are irritated when we arrive to find favourite swims occupied by overnighters.

What irritate me more are the anglers who turn up before the official opening time for the water, in flagrant breach of club rules, and are to be found tackling up in prime swims, or even fishing, as the rule abiding anglers are just arriving at the specified start time.

R

Ron Clay

Now that's not nice.

In the old days you could bait up a swim prior to the start of the fishing season and leave a note together with your name saying: "Baited swim, please respect - **** Walker" or some other such angler.

Could you do that today?

B

Brian Lewis

Course you couldn't Ron. Nowadays, like so many other things in this day and age, it's every man for himself (or so, sadly, it seems).

I can't count the number of times in the recent past I've been in a car park at a water with everybody clock watching, waiting for the official time when you could walk to the swims. You could feel the tension (not anticipation)building as the time approached and then off they'd go like greyhounds out of the traps, Formula one drivers off the grid, all for the sake of racing each other to swims. And don't fall over, because nobody will stop to help you up with your gear.

Frankly, I can't be bothered with all that and what makes it worse is that I had friends who used to race off without me!! Maybe they were trying to tell me something!!

G

Gary Knowles

Just to reinforce Warrens comments, not only have I found bream to be nocturnal on most waters on quite a few they have a definite feeding time. For example the mere I'm currently fishing you can almost guarantee 95% of the takes come between 12 midnight and 1.00am...

On another water there were two definite spells, one an hour into dark and strangely enough another late morning. The late morning feeding spell only occured if the bait had been in place all night. Leading me to believe bait was located during the darkness hours then returned to during morning.....strange but true !

Warren, I don't mind you 'seeing' 15lbers as long as when do, they are not in the bottom of Brummies landing net ! !

C

Clive Evans

When I fished in Cavan, Ireland, last year our landlady had Large brightly coloured leaflets printed for prebaited swims. They were honoured each time we used them.

Saw a piece by Bob Church recently about a time he prebaited a swim at Sewel Res. and left a note. He returned at the correct opening time to find another bod already fishing. Bob told him to move or be reported to the Club. He went.

P

Paul Williams

"Warren i don't mind you 'seeing' 15lbers as long as when do they are not at the bottom of Brummies landing net" Que sera sera!........mind you Warren don't need a landing net or rod even.....he tickles em out by hand i hear!!

I

Ian Whittaker

Its nice to have freedom of choice.But if you can't change the rules- you can vote with your feet-and find other venues.