Daiwa vs Shimano Spool Sizes

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Just a quick question, which is the largest spool diameter, a 2500 size front drag Shimano or a 2508 Daiwa front drag?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just a quick question, which is the largest spool diameter, a 2500 size front drag Shimano or a 2508 Daiwa front drag?

Don't read much into the numbers, they don't mean a great deal.
Once upon a time, I'd have considered a 2508 Daiwa to be a broad equivalent of a 3000 Shimano (3012 to 4000). The Daiwas tended to have a slightly larger diameter spool, particularly if you equated 2500 to 2508, as many do. However, Shimano have introduced new models with higher diameter spools in the last couple of years. Look at the Aero models if you want larger diameter spools. It's a lot more difficult to generalise any longer. It's also the case that the more normal Shimano spools have increased in diameter over the years. A modern 3000 sized Shimano spool has a greater diameter than an original Japanese 4000 Stradic GTM from the mid to late nineties.

To be absolutely sure of what you are comparing you need to see them in the flesh. The only alternative is if you happen to find someone with the exact models you are weighing up or getting an honest dealer to compare directly for you. Making assumptions based on model numbers, alternate models and supposition doesn't really cut it.

Last edited:
B

binka

Surprised at the answers so far, I can't do any comparisons as I'm not familiar with the Shimmys but the spool on a TDX 2508 is very compact and I'm struggling to imagine a smaller one in that size reel bracket.

I'm wondering if we're comparing onions with onions here as the Daiwa model mentioned is specific whereas the Shimmy size could apply to a few different models maybe?

In essence a 2500 spool size should be comparable in dimensions like for like across a range and also with other manufacturers but this is fishing gear :rolleyes:

Don't get me started on hook sizes! :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm wondering if we're comparing onions with onions here as the Daiwa model mentioned is specific whereas the Shimmy size could apply to a few different models maybe?

What's specific about a 2508 front drag Daiwa? As far as I can see, in the 2016 Daiwa catalogue, there are 2508 models in the Exist, Caldia, Certate, Team Daiwa X, Team Daiwa R, Team Daiwa, Freams and Whisker Match ranges. Line capacities are not consistent through all of the different 2508 models.

That's the issue, there's no real consistency in the model numbers within the ranges of a single manufacturer. Cross comparing between manufacturers, based on nothing more than the numbers is a recipe for disaster.

B

binka

What's specific about a 2508 front drag Daiwa? As far as I can see, in the 2016 Daiwa catalogue, there are 2508 models in the Exist, Caldia, Certate, Team Daiwa X, Team Daiwa R, Team Daiwa, Freams and Whisker Match ranges. Line capacities are not consistent through all of the different 2508 models.

That's the issue, there's no real consistency in the model numbers within the ranges of a single manufacturer. Cross comparing between manufacturers, based on nothing more than the numbers is a recipe for disaster.

I may (likely) have overlooked the more recent generalisation of the 2508 models Sam, given that the only one I'm familiar with is the (original?) TDX.

I clearly need to refer to the 2016 catalogue... On second thoughts that might not be a good idea ;) :)

Last edited: