Fun with a chaep 'pole'

fishplate42

Reaction score
I say pole, some call it a whip, but whatever it is called it is fun to fish with. No good for match fishing used as I do because it is too slow but for a day by the water it is great fun. I also made a cupping kit to go with it. The whole lot including elasticating the pole came to less than £30.00 (I already had the cups and a spare fitting). It is fitted with a 8-10 solid elastic which makes catching anything of any size interesting to say the least. Targeting small silvers also paid off and I caught a good handful of perch and roach using maggot and casters. The full story can be found HERE. I also tried out a new groundbait concoction that seemed to favour bream and Tench over carp. It is a bit early to claim it does target the bream but it is looking that way.

Ralph ;)

mikench

Reaction score
Very entertaining blog. Whips and poles mean nothing to me ! I'd rather tell the wife I had just bought a Drennen Acolyte than to suggest either!

Your venue looks nice!

fishplate42

Reaction score
Very entertaining blog. Whips and poles mean nothing to me ! I'd rather tell the wife I had just bought a Drennen Acolyte than to suggest either!

Your venue looks nice!

Thanks!

I am often asked why I keep going back to the same venue. If you look back over my blog (link in my signature below) you will see why I can without getting bored. There are ten lakes and ponds at Beaver Farm Fishery and they are all very different, even the same lake can be totally different to fish from one side to the other. On a day like Friday you can't beat a nice quiet tranquil spot as I found along the bottom bank of Major's Lake - maybe I am just getting old.

Ralph :rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
Nice one Ralph,
Another good write-up - I especially like your naming of the 'Hippo' - and the Surf n Turf Groundbait recipe. IF it starts attracting Carp - please warn us;) - an almost guaranteed No-Carp groundbait would probably get you a Knighthood from some of us! :D

fishplate42

Reaction score
Nice one Ralph,
Another good write-up - I especially like your naming of the 'Hippo' - and the Surf n Turf Groundbait recipe. IF it starts attracting Carp - please warn us;) - an almost guaranteed No-Carp groundbait would probably get you a Knighthood from some of us! :D

I am pleased you like my waffle! The new recipee groundbait is not exactly no-carp but it seems to be 'not only carp'. Normally the Two Dog will attract F1s and carp almost exclusively. This new Surf 'n Turf recipe seems to attract far more bream/tench and fewer carp on the same water. As I said, it is early days but it is interesting. I will keep experimenting...

Ralph ;)