Question about hemp seed

nova12

Reaction score
Quick question my local tackle shop is selling tins of frenzied hemp seed for £1.20 for 750g and I have stocked up.
Anyway my question is can you freeze it out of the tin to batches of 250g? And if so do I freeze it in the water it comes in as I won't be using 750g at a time and I use it with the meat feeder so don't need a great lot of it.

Also can you freeze lunchen meat aswell if i cubed it in to 6 and 8mm pieces or would it loose it's taste a bit or make it watery.

Help much appreciated

john step

Reaction score
Being an absolute tight wad, I say freeze it. I buy hemp, tares,wheat etc in bulk and cook batches up to freeze. Any left over gets re frozen.
I don't always use a whole tin of meat so that gets frozen too.
I reckon the tares are better to hook once frozen and thawed.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I've got away with freezing all sorts of baits, hemp, groundbait, meat - no problem.

Is it just me or does it seem to be that the mankier a bait gets, the more the fish want it? Definitely the case with cheesepaste!

nova12

Reaction score
Thankyou very much for that didn't want to spoil it all as I only use half a tin to a tin of meat enough for more sessions :) happy days

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 ----------

Would you freeze it in the water it come in also not loose

nova12

Reaction score
That it will but the hole point is I wont use a whole tin and wanted to no if I can freeze the hemp in the zip bags I'll use 230 gram out of the 700g in the tin in a session so I can get 3 sessions out of 1 tin simple yes??

thecrow

Reaction score
Freeze it in whatever liquid it comes in as it will in all probability contain hemp oil, meat will take on flavours/smells such as garlic when frozen.

rubio

Reaction score
Definitely don't throw away the water (or 'liquor') it's got the best bit of flavouring in it. Innit?
If freezer space gets short or you want it more readily available to use try a sealable tub with a splash of hemp oil til it just covers the seeds. Much cheaper in the supermarket than tackle shops.
And it is true that fish will happily gobble up seeds that turn your own stomach.

nova12

Reaction score
Thanks alot I might put some hemp oil in my mix when I go fishing get a nice slick going.
Cheers for info cracking forum especially when he needed

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Any ideas what u can out on my lunchen meat before freezing? Chilli powder?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As others have said hemp absolutely fine to freeze, but I always separate the hemp water and use it for groundbait. Also defrosting hemp in a lot of water will ( probably ) take a lot longer to thaw...
If I fancy a quick trip I sometimes thaw the hemp out in the microwave, either on ' defrost ' or ' medium ' but this only for short spells. I can do this because I bag up in sandwich bags from the supermarket and I haven't got the water to worry about. Never had a problem using hemp on the hook when thawed this way...

BTW - plenty of ' hemp ' threads under ' search ' if you're interested !!

ps I sometimes use a garden plant spray gun loaded with strained hemp water if I'm fishing close in, just to put a bit of flavour in the water..good if fishing up in the water......

Last edited:

nova12

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I think I will leave the hemp in the water incase it does dry up n float on way to bank or on the bank.
I will take out the day before so it will be fine also .
Good idea bout spraying hemp water in thr swing though find allsorts out on here

daniel121

Reaction score
I don't buy the tinned stuff but i do buy hemp in bulk from a pet foodshop. It lasts ages in the freezer like as does meat.

john step

Reaction score
Tee-Cee;1379161 ps I sometimes use a garden plant spray gun loaded with strained hemp water if I'm fishing close in said:
What a good idea. You could patent a fishing sprayer and sell it to Korda!!!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
On manky hemp - the carp lads reckon that fermenting or otherwise smelly hemp pulls carp in like a magnet, but the roach-fishers always used to insist on the freshest bait.

Is it a difference between the species, or just humans getting it wrong?

ciprinus

Reaction score
Thanks alot I might put some hemp oil in my mix when I go fishing get a nice slick going.
Cheers for info cracking forum especially when he needed

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Any ideas what u can out on my lunchen meat before freezing? Chilli powder?

you can freeze the meat with most spices and it will take, one of the best is turmeric, then chilli and paprica, black pepper is also a great attractor, you will find that one in the great majority of manufacturers baits ;)

qtaran111

Reaction score
On manky hemp - the carp lads reckon that fermenting or otherwise smelly hemp pulls carp in like a magnet, but the roach-fishers always used to insist on the freshest bait.

Is it a difference between the species, or just humans getting it wrong?

I think there might be something to this. Last Saturday I was fishing a local coarse lake and took some left over manky hemp plus a new batch.

I started with the new hemp mixed into groundbait and caught roach aplenty. Later I switched to the manky hemp (which smelt something awful) and on the first cast hooked something big which shot off across the lake and snapped my line. After setting up again, similar thing happened and got dragged into the reeds and the hook pulled.

So it could be carp like fermented stinky manky hemp, or could just be by that point there was more bait in my swim which had pulled in the hoovers.

stripey

Reaction score
Quick question my local tackle shop is selling tins of frenzied hemp seed for £1.20 for 750g and I have stocked up.
Anyway my question is can you freeze it out of the tin to batches of 250g? And if so do I freeze it in the water it comes in as I won't be using 750g at a time and I use it with the meat feeder so don't need a great lot of it.

Also can you freeze lunchen meat aswell if i cubed it in to 6 and 8mm pieces or would it loose it's taste a bit or make it watery.

Help much appreciated

The short answer is yes you can freeze hemp, no need to freeze in water either, just drain off the liquid from the tin and place the hemp in a plastic bag and pop it into the freezer,used it when its been frozen for over 10 months and was still okay

robtherake

Reaction score
I think there might be something to this. Last Saturday I was fishing a local coarse lake and took some left over manky hemp plus a new batch.

I started with the new hemp mixed into groundbait and caught roach aplenty. Later I switched to the manky hemp (which smelt something awful) and on the first cast hooked something big which shot off across the lake and snapped my line. After setting up again, similar thing happened and got dragged into the reeds and the hook pulled.

So it could be carp like fermented stinky manky hemp, or could just be by that point there was more bait in my swim which had pulled in the hoovers.

Stinky particles drive carp nuts. I've caught fish (on relatively easy waters) within minutes of their introduction and some of those fish were studded with the stuff, as if they'd been rolling in it.