Umbrella size

Bob Robins

Reaction score
Can anyone out there tell me the correct way to measure an umbrella. A seller on Ebay, selling a 2.20m umbrella said that you measure around the edge (the circumference) which I imagine is wrong. Someone else told me that you measure the diameter, another person said to measure the length of the material from the end og the pole to the end of the material when closed (half of the diameter I suppose).

I need to get it right because I shall be ordering for delivery to Spain.

Thanks in anticipation

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not certain Bob, but I think that the size is measured across the Diameter of the umbrella when erected.

If nothing else this might bump Bob's question back to the top for others to offer an answer as well.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Umbrellas used to be sold in either 45" or 50"sizes

The 45" or 50" was the length of the spokes with the umbrella closed (i.e. half the diameter)

I've just measured my 50"umbrella to check

(so I should imagine your 2.2 metre umbrella is equivalent to a 45")

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

By the way, half the diameter is the radius

Bob Robins

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the response. It would seem that there appears to have been some confusion over the correct way to measure the brollies.

I would have thought that the most useful dimension used to describe the size would be the diameter of the brollie opened up.

I now know that the only way to be sure is to actually open up an umbrella and see for myself which means that I shall not be buying one over the internet.

All the info has been of great interest and most helpful.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Well I`ve just erected my wavelok 60" brolly and it measures 2200mm from side to side so where the center pole is would be the 1100mm I did this from inside the brolly. I do hope Bowlers Angling didnt get it wrong when I ordered a 60" brolly but its huge either way. Hope this helps

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Right I`ve found out how they make the measurements my brolly is a 60" one, When erected you measure on the outside of the brolly, from the center to the end tip of one of the ribs and what ever that reads is the size of your brolly. So Bob if that brolly measure 220 cm from side to side then its the same as mine, so it would be a 60" brolly. Hope this helps

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Just had a weird look from one of my neighbours, looking as to why I`ve just put my brolly up in my back garden and left it, nosey git