So What Do Carp Really Eat?

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: So What Do Carp Really Eat?

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18337-so-what-do-carp-really-eat.html

files.php

There's no denying the value of this excellent 2012 article. I hope you all agree with me! (Ed)

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I take your point, Rob, but the article contains other worthy information :) Ian's mode d'emploi doesn't suit me but it's a good piece that's worth a second airing, I think.

thecrow

Reaction score
the carp has evolved to recognise as having nutritional value. If the bait does not contain these molecules, the carp will not take it.

Cant agree with that as lots have been caught on bits of plastic or foam even some on artificial flies.

Worth reading but like all articles about bait and natural diet some bits are not backed up by facts

barbelboi

Reaction score
One issue to consider is that a feeding carp will often 'hoover' up whatever is in front of it and eject approximately 98% - stones and whatever else it doesn't want through it's gills, or mouth for larger items. Possibly why they may be caught on hair rigged baits they didn’t really want................

robtherake

Reaction score
One issue to consider is that a feeding carp will often 'hoover' up whatever is in front of it and eject approximately 98% - stones and whatever else it doesn't want through it's gills, or mouth for larger items. Possibly why they may be caught on hair rigged baits they didn’t really want................

A bloke on another forum caught tench by design on hair-rigged pieces of twig just to prove the point. Another, more waggish chap caught carp on a hair-rigged Lego man's head. :)

steve2

Reaction score
Fish world version of a pig, will eat anything, although bait manufactures will try to convince you that they will only eat the freshest latest must have bait.