A log/diary

naxian62

Reaction score
Oh yes. There's no way I could remember all the fish I catch!!

peterjg

Reaction score
I have been keeping a fishing diary since the 1970s. I just do a quick write up about the venue, catches, baits, sometimes water temperature, weather and anything else of interest. To be honest it is a bit of a pain to keep them going but it is great to look back at successes and failures years later. I'm certain I would forget details otherwise and keep repeating cock-ups! If I have a particularly good catch I use red ink - the red pens last for years!

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Being someone who makes lists for everything from holidays to overnight fishing trips , I have been keeping a fishing log for many years, mainly listing venues and what I caught and weights of any good fish. Its nice to look through it and remember some catches...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You might find it easier using a excel worksheet which I am sure you have on your computer somewhere. Just head some columns with whatever you want and fill it in when you come home, takes about 5 mins; a lot of the info is on the net..
To give an idea my columns are but you can add or delete what ever you fancy.
DAY MONTH YEAR WIND DIR WIND STRENGTH WEATHER AIR TEMP WATER TEMP BAROMETER WATER COLOUR MOON NOTES/SPECIES BAIT VENUE.
Once you have built it up you can add formulas for calculating best venue, best species, best bait, best temperatures, wind etc. which I am sure you will find very useful in time. Its a 1001 times better than writing it down. There are a 1001 things you can do on excel that you cannot do writing it all down.

Last edited:

buick_toni

Reaction score
I have kept fishing log from mid-2014 to this date. I'm kind of a statistic freak, so keeping a fishing log is quite natural for me :rolleyes:

I keep various kinds of logs
-Fishing log program on PC (with very versatile statistic viewing)
-Excell
-Paper notebook
-Garmin BaseCamp to mark caught fish for GPS (I use OruxMaps on phone)

I log every trip separately (Date, time, weather including temp, wind, air pressure...) and all the fish (Time, location, weight, water depths, lure...)

So yes, I might say I keep fishing log... :wh

carpinbob

Reaction score
Being someone who makes lists for everything from holidays to overnight fishing trips , I have been keeping a fishing log for many years, mainly listing venues and what I caught and weights of any good fish. Its nice to look through it and remember some catches...

Same here it's nice to look back.