berkley nanofil

xenon

Reaction score
as part of gearing up for the river season, thought i would try some of the above. any one find it knots like rubbish? spent this afternoon practicing with it (using berkleys own recommended knot, which looks identical to a palomar) If i can get one knot out of five to hold properly, I'm dong well. think it will be heading for the bin at this rate!

rayner

Reaction score
I bought .06 a few years ago, thought it would be good for punch fishing.
I had the exact problems you experienced, every knot was poor.
It broke like cotton, it went in the bin.

xenon

Reaction score
I bought .06 a few years ago, thought it would be good for punch fishing.
I had the exact problems you experienced, every knot was poor.
It broke like cotton, it went in the bin.

Thanks Rayner-that confirms it-the stuff is a pile of carp. expensive mistake, but cannot use stuff so hopelessly unreliable.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's not without issues, but it's not entirely without merits. It soon becomes very obvious that knots are a big problem. I was not convinced that the recommended knot is necessarily the best choice. The reality is that you have to be ridiculously careful with the knot you use and how well you tie it. The bottom line is that you need to use a far higher breaking strain than you'd like to accommodate the poor knot strength. My conclusion was that it's just too fussy to bother with and it's overly expensive to boot.

greenie62

Reaction score
How about Trylene?

I've used the Trilene XL Float 4lb and found it very good - only criticism was it tended to 'set' on the spool and spiral-off - but soon straightened-out after a couple of trots.

The Trilene 8lb Super Strong was very good as well - very fine for the BS but very stiff.

I got them both in a sale at £3.95 for a 300m spool.

rayner

Reaction score
For light hooklengths I use Trabuco Diamond fluro from .06 to .10.
I fell for the blurb with NANO, should know better.
All other hooklengths I use are Power line. The only other line I use is Maxima for reels.
I use the same knot for all hooklengths a double overhand loop, there's no way I will trust another knot for tying line to line. When both hands were dextrous enough I used to tie a figure eight knots.
I consider myself very proficient when tying knots and any line that doesn't perform with the knot I tie is no good for me.

Edit.
I mistakenly never mentioned the knot for tying hooks. Spade ends are tied with a matchman hook tier.

Last edited: