Cheap tackle advice needed

thecrow

Reaction score
I have been looking around for some cheap tackle so that I can start fishing still waters again, I have found some stuff made by Holland and Wilkinson that looks ok but I have never heard of this manufacturer, has anyone any knowledge/experience of their tackle?

mikench

Reaction score
I assume you mean rods and reels as terminal tackle is fairly cheap and prices are very similar.

I am amazed at the quality of rods and reels for around £50 or less. NGT tackle offers real value for money as per the specific thread on the subject. You could get all you needed for less than £50!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd look on ebay for some second hand "quality makes"of tackle rather than buying cheap new stuff that will be of a lesser quality for similar prices.
If it's gott'a be new then I reckon i'd be looking at shakespears offerings.

thecrow

Reaction score
I know your right Ian its just that I have always shied away from paying lots for stuff unless it was for a specific job and couldn't be found at a low price, i'll have a look at 2nd hand stuff I think, found some Maver stuff that's not to bad on price as well.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

I assume you mean rods and reels as terminal tackle is fairly cheap and prices are very similar.

I am amazed at the quality of rods and reels for around £50 or less. NGT tackle offers real value for money as per the specific thread on the subject. You could get all you needed for less than £50!

Never thought of their stuff, will have a look thanks

sumtime

Reaction score
Crow, I have the Maver Abyss X 13ft float rod, excellent for the price, had carp on it up to about 7/8lb.

flightliner

Reaction score
Crow, check out the Leeda Concept 11ft feeder rod that comes with three differant size tips. I bought one a fortnight ago and dont know how they make em for such silly money.My local tackle shop purchased a load after seeing them at the tackle fair this year , I had one of the first and in two weeks the shelves are empty on account of the local commy boys.
I know I've mentioned the Shakespeare Sigma pellet waggler rod at 11 ft also but under £30 its a steal.Its the rod I've been using for all the crucians I've mentioned on the h d y g o thread, I couldnt wish for a better rod for the job no matter what the price.

john step

Reaction score
I have been looking around for some cheap tackle so that I can start fishing still waters again, I have found some stuff made by Holland and Wilkinson that looks ok but I have never heard of this manufacturer, has anyone any knowledge/experience of their tackle?

I think that make is a Dragon brand.

mikench

Reaction score
In my view the Maver, NGT ,shakespeare and Korum feeder and float rods represent good value for money with NGT being the cheapest. Also look at Oakwood rods which again offer great value.

I find evaluating new rods difficult enough without assessing used rods I have never heard of!

thecrow

Reaction score
In my view the Maver, NGT ,shakespeare and Korum feeder and float rods represent good value for money with NGT being the cheapest. Also look at Oakwood rods which again offer great value.

I find evaluating new rods difficult enough without assessing used rods I have never heard of!

Thanks Mike, its not that I am inexperienced but most of my angling has been for the last 50 years has been for larger fish (not better I hasten to add) and almost all the float fishing I have done during that time has been very close range margin stuff. My river excursions have been somewhat curtailed over the last few years and instead of sitting in home flicking through countless TV channels I thought that I would go back to doing what I did when I started fishing (I will even be fishing the same water) but didn't want to spend loads (my dad was from Yorkshire and something must be in my genes) but I believe I have found what I am looking for.

Shakespeare omni12ft match rod and an Omni reel for less than £30 on e bay, never owned any Shakespeare stuff before but also never heard anything bad about it either so it should do the job.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Thanks Mike, its not that I am inexperienced but most of my angling has been for the last 50 years has been for larger fish (not better I hasten to add) and almost all the float fishing I have done during that time has been very close range margin stuff. My river excursions have been somewhat curtailed over the last few years and instead of sitting in home flicking through countless TV channels I thought that I would go back to doing what I did when I started fishing (I will even be fishing the same water) but didn't want to spend loads (my dad was from Yorkshire and something must be in my genes) but I believe I have found what I am looking for.

Shakespeare omni12ft match rod and an Omni reel for less than £30 on e bay, never owned any Shakespeare stuff before but also never heard anything bad about it either so it should do the job.

For host price you won't go wrong
Shakespeare gear is underrated

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Another vote for NGT i have 2 of their cheap rods and cant fault them both well up for it at a price you just cant beat ..

The main one i use is the NGT Feeder MAX 10 ft with changable tops i use the softer top mainly for float on the pool i fish where it meets carp to 15 lb and tench to best part of 7 lb plus tree fish both in and out of the water :wh :eek:mg:

PG ...