Graphene.

kenpm

Reaction score
According to the originators in Manchester several patents have already been applied for concerning its use in "angling products"

no-one in particular

Reaction score
We have had quite a few threads discussing this material in the past and how it will creep into fishing tackle; looks like we were right. I think it will become a big thing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently these rods sell at around £1,000 a piece, which is only about 35% more than a carbon Sage Fly Rod (circa £650)

If you compare the price then to a top of the range pole (with a RRP around £6k) but typically sold for around £3.5k, then they are not really so expensive at all.

Like all things "fishing" the prices will come down if and when the market supports or demands it . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It does say in the blurb "It not only flexes deeply at the beginning of a cast but it straightens again powerfully" which for a salmon rod distance casting is an advantage. However, I am not sure I like the description of the action, a problem I think with all these type rods, they are too severe. I think if I was going to spend £1000 I would rather buy a split cane; a top range one. or have one made; particularly for fly fishing.
But the price will drop dramatically over time as Peter pointed out, I understand the material graphite is common and once mass production comes into play they probably will be the best for value rods around.
I will be interested to see if this comes into hooks or even fishing line, could make super thin strong hooks and maybe line if incorporated into it in some way. Light reels as well. It has to be the future .....

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I will start saving ! If the material proves suitable for rods then the cost will tumble.

steve2

Reaction score
Reading up on this material there are a lot of better uses for it than fishing rods and tackle. It will break into the tackle market but do we really need it with the tackle we already have. There will always be those that want all the latest gear even if they don't need it.

I suppose by then carbon will be classed as old hat and be put in the traditional angling basket along side cane rods

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the qualities (or characteristics) of this material then I think it might be better suited to fly rods rather than coarse rods, but time will tell . . . .