Dogs and cows and fish

laguna

Reaction score
Forgive the headline... I think I put something similar up before?

Anyway, I've been saying this for about 15 years; anglers baits reduce the life span of fish and cause obesity in fish, much as the same processed foods cause obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes in humans.

I read only yesterday an article that seems to confirm some of our suspicions (repeated on this evenings news) suggesting that fat is actually good for us and counting calories is a waste of time, the last 40 years of ill health is evidence enough that the 'experiment' isn't working.

Dogs eat meat - they are naturally lean
Cows eat grass and they are naturally fat
Fish eat more processed foods than natural food today than they did years ago - and are a lot fatter now than they ought be.

No coincidence then, that modern processed foods are killing us?

Basically when we eat saturated fat our bodies burn it as fuel, and when we eat carbohydrate foods, our body uses some as energy and converts the rest into fat - which is then stored in our bodies. If we do little to no exercise, these fat stores build up and we become... fat! with the obvious risk of increased heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes etc. that the western world has been experiencing now for decades since the calorie-counting experiment started.

The upshot is, the old idea 'watch the calories and eat low fat foods' has now been challenged with the idea that eating foods that are naturally high in saturated fats and fewer carbohydrates are better for us.

and I agree.

Eggs and bacon (cooked in lard), sausages, full fat cream in our milk etc. and less lettuce! :w

Unfortunately however, not so straight forward. I'm convinced, if we eat carbohydrates (fruit and vegetables, pasta, and no fat or refined sugar) in isolation to fatty foods, we will derive some of the same health benefits of eating a predominately high fat diet. After all, we still need our vitamins and minerals too. The conventional; 'balanced diet' doesn't mean we should have it all on the same plate - all at the same time. A few hours between with meals alternating food types could be a healthier balanced alternative?

Dr Mike Knapton, associate medical director at the British Heart Foundation (BHF), said: “This report is full of ideas and opinion, however it does not offer the robust and comprehensive review of evidence that would be required for the BHF, as the UK’s largest heart research charity, to take it seriously. “This country’s obesity epidemic is not caused by poor dietary guidelines; it is that we are not meeting them.”

Perhaps some of us aren't meeting them but it doesn't account for the fact that some people are predisposed to piling on the fat, some people are permanently on a low fat diet and have an arse the size of an average American walking down a Walmart isle. Quantity of food eaten is also something we need to look at, but essentially some people cannot simply shift weight by watching calories.

Link to the article: http://www.theguardian.com/society/...eat-low-fat-diet-is-wrong-says-health-charity

*assume was in direct response to the book; 'The big fat surprise'. http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk/index.php/publications.html

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Very interesting Chris. Thanks for posting that. Food for thought (no pun intended).

rayner

Reaction score
I probably don't have what is called a balanced diet. Even though I have close to nothing in the way of processed foods.
I do have tinned or frozen peas and corn a small amount of bread and cereal also milk and cheese. I used to have any number of processed foods but not since Oct 1996.
Then it all changed to home cooked foods. I have had processed foods when we go out for pub lunches a couple of times a week but at home everything is cooked fresh every day.
It's done nothing for my belly though :D