Recommendations for a good lightweight barrow, please.

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm not looking for a massive load-lugger, just a regular barrow with a single wheel that folds up small and comes equipped with a decent barrow bag already fitted. I was thinking about the Korum Compact, although the blurb doesn't give a weight. the Prestige Carp Porter Lite (11.5kg) has the most robust-looking bag and folds fairly small, so that's in the frame.

It only has to carry quiver, bags, bait and shelter for relatively short sessions, so small is the watchword.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's up with a builders barrow with a bit of ply wood on top to make a shelterd box compartment?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe you could do a bit of chopping and changing to make it fit Rob?

I think if I was gonn'a lash out on a barrow i'd get one of the platforms, you know th type you can wheel out into the river and either sit on or put you gear on, or both (have you checked them out?).

john10

Reaction score
What's up with a builders barrow with a bit of ply wood on top to make a shelterd box compartment?

I used one of these for a couple of years and it was fairly effective. Not very portable though and I used to carry it on the roof rack. I invested in a porta lite a couple of years ago and found it to be excellent.

robtherake

Reaction score
Maybe you could do a bit of chopping and changing to make it fit Rob?

I think if I was gonn'a lash out on a barrow i'd get one of the platforms, you know th type you can wheel out into the river and either sit on or put you gear on, or both (have you checked them out?).

Funny you should say that, Ian; the same thing occurred to me last night while I was looking at the available barrows. Anyone use one of these? I know there are some cheap and nasty ones out there which are best avoided - one wag put his on Ebay, along with a frank and funny description. :D

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

I used one of these for a couple of years and it was fairly effective. Not very portable though and I used to carry it on the roof rack. I invested in a porta lite a couple of years ago and found it to be excellent.

Cheers, John. is it narrow enough for easy access through skinny paths and gates?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's a Waterline model new and deliverd for £55.95 on evilbay.
I can't post a link with this thing i'm using.

robtherake

Reaction score
These look good and you get a platform to fish from on uneven banks/shallow margins, or a nice big table. The adjustable front wheel allows the barrow to be balanced for the load, making it easier to push and manoeuvre. Forum comments are positive.

Penrose 1 Wheel Barrow Platform XXL at Penrose Direct

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

There's a Waterline model new and deliverd for £55.95 on evilbay.
I can't post a link with this thing i'm using.

I'm afeared that the cheapies are nasty, too, Ian. I bought a cheap barrow, years ago and it really was pants.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
These look good and you get a platform to fish from on uneven banks/shallow margins, or a nice big table. The adjustable front wheel allows the barrow to be balanced for the load, making it easier to push and manoeuvre. Forum comments are positive.

Penrose 1 Wheel Barrow Platform XXL at Penrose Direct

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

I'm afeared that the cheapies are nasty, too, Ian. I bought a cheap barrow, years ago and it really was pants.

Yeah Rob the one in your link looks like a good 'un.
I thought Waterline was supposed to be decent kit though? I know they didi decent seatboxes some time ago.

robtherake

Reaction score
Yeah Rob the one in your link looks like a good 'un.
I thought Waterline was supposed to be decent kit though? I know they didi decent seatboxes some time ago.

My birthday's just gone and the family's clubbing together to buy me one, since they didn't get me anything on the day. My own fault really - I usually have an order in. For the type of fishing that I do it's probably the most practical option in most situations. :)

sagalout

Reaction score
I have the carp porter porter lite. I have nothing to compare it with (except my builders barrow) but I do think it is a good bit of kit.

robtherake

Reaction score
I have the carp porter porter lite. I have nothing to compare it with (except my builders barrow) but I do think it is a good bit of kit.

How wide is it? I've struggled at some venues where paths are narrow and access is a bit tight. I've almost decided to go with the Penrose barrow platform, for the reasons outlined above http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/1380175-post9.html but I'm still sitting on the fence, as it were, and may still be tempted by a carp-style barrow if it's of a reasonably compact size and balances well with a load on. In its favour, the Penrose comes with a range of dinky accessories - rests, brolly attachments, groundbait rings, accessory bar and so on, which makes it a pretty versatile bit of kit. I'd imagine that my Korum chair accessories will fit it, with the right insert...er...inserted.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
It's 50mm/50cm/20" wide. I think I posted some piccies at sometime in the distant past, let me look see........stop waiting I'm back, yeah there are piccies here http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...176016-prestige-porterlite-2-carp-porter.html if the link works

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

It's worth noting that I reviewed mine at the beginning of 2011 and I am still using it with no problems (I have replaced the wheel with a B&Q puncture proof one, apparently lidls/aldi do them for a tenner) and I use it a lot, almost everytime I go fishing and some summers I fish most days (but not lately, since she decided to move house my priorities have changed according to her).

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You won't go wrong with a Carp porter. When i am at the tackle shows we sell out of Carp porter barrows just about every time.

They are also known for being good at replacing any damaged parts should you be unlucky to have any.

john step

Reaction score

Rob, I too have a Prestige Carp Porter. Ignore the carpy bit as they are a good robust barrow which I think will outlast cheapies.
I used it today again. The wheel and handles come off quickly. In fact when I got it I timed the putting up and putting down. 2 minutes to put it back in my car.

Being that it is robust it doesn't feel light when you carry it to the car but once assembled the balance is such that you really don't feel the load.

My current fishing car is a small Skoda hatchback and it fits in that OK.

It is British made and comes with spare knurled nuts and holding bungees.
You can always get any spares direct from the firm in Basildon, Essex. Some models have puncture proof wheels.

Best bit of kit for a long time.

robtherake

Reaction score
It's 50mm/50cm/20" wide. I think I posted some piccies at sometime in the distant past, let me look see........stop waiting I'm back, yeah there are piccies here http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...176016-prestige-porterlite-2-carp-porter.html if the link works

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

It's worth noting that I reviewed mine at the beginning of 2011 and I am still using it with no problems (I have replaced the wheel with a B&Q puncture proof one, apparently lidls/aldi do them for a tenner) and I use it a lot, almost everytime I go fishing and some summers I fish most days (but not lately, since she decided to move house my priorities have changed according to her).

Thanks, that's a solid review. Food for thought, seeing as the platform barrow's four inches wider. It seems some chin scratching's required. Hmm....:confused:

ravey

Reaction score
I have the older 'standard' sized Penrose barrow platform.

It looks like Penrose only do the larger models, but the last time I spoke to Mark Penrose, he said it wold be possible to fabricate the standard version. May be worth contacting him?

I find the facility to convert into a rock solid and stable platform suits me very well, as I like to wade when fishing the river and have my box and kit close to hand. I can also sit out in the water when pole fishing, when I need to be sitting on my box.

The fact that I can fix my keepnet to it and use a multi-arm to attach a rod rest for feeder fishing means that I am not messing about trying to get banksticks into the river bed. The option for longer legs (up to 4', although 30" is the most I have ever needed) is useful as well for getting a bit further out into the river.

I can thoroughly recommend...

robtherake

Reaction score
I have the older 'standard' sized Penrose barrow platform.

It looks like Penrose only do the larger models, but the last time I spoke to Mark Penrose, he said it wold be possible to fabricate the standard version. May be worth contacting him?

I find the facility to convert into a rock solid and stable platform suits me very well, as I like to wade when fishing the river and have my box and kit close to hand. I can also sit out in the water when pole fishing, when I need to be sitting on my box.

The fact that I can fix my keepnet to it and use a multi-arm to attach a rod rest for feeder fishing means that I am not messing about trying to get banksticks into the river bed. The option for longer legs (up to 4', although 30" is the most I have ever needed) is useful as well for getting a bit further out into the river.

I can thoroughly recommend...

Cheers, that's good info. How big's the standard? The current smallest (XXL) is 32 x 24". If I end up choosing one of these it would probably be the single-wheel model. How many wheels are on your wagon and how's its handling? Will the gridwork support a chair, do you think?

Last edited: