Shimano reel problem

caferacer

Reaction score
I have a Shimano Super X and the spool rubs the rotor at the very bottom stroke,the bottom skirt of the spool is just hitting the rotor.Is there a spacer/washer missing or does the shaft have to be adjusted.Gosh the scope for innuendo is off the scale here,but seriously,is there anyone that can help?I service all my reels so I can do the job myself if I get some pointers.

chrissh

Reaction score
You should have a packet of spacer washer that come with the reel by what you are saying I’m 99.9% sure the reel is missing a washer or 2... After fitting the washer/washers you might find that the line on the spool isn’t laying the same as before so you will have to re load the spool

Or you could call or send the reel to the shimano service centre

Shimano after sales
Unit J25 Ashmount Business Park
Upper Fforest Way
Swansea
West Glamorgan SA6 8QR
Phone: 01792 796584

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm glad you brought this up - I have an old Daiwa Longcast reel with the same issue. Looks like an easy fix. :)

caferacer

Reaction score
I dont think rear drag reels can have spacers/shims for their spools as a shim would stop the spool locating onto the "peg" on the shaft.I think Im missing a shim inside the reel.

mikench

Reaction score
Not one of my reels (Drennen, Diawa and Shimano)have come with any washers! Should they?

robtherake

Reaction score
Not one of my reels (Drennen, Diawa and Shimano)have come with any washers! Should they?

Some reels do and some don't; popping a few complimentary washers into the box wouldn't break the bank - a pair of Okuma baitrunners bought a while ago came with spare gaskets (for between the two halves of the body) as well as spare washers, which is how it should be done. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I dont think rear drag reels can have spacers/shims for their spools as a shim would stop the spool locating onto the "peg" on the shaft.I think Im missing a shim inside the reel.

I've yet to see a Shimano rear drag reel supplied with spacing washers. I suspect you are right about them interfering with the spool locking if fitted.

However, I have encountered the same issue on a similar vintage Shimano Baitrunner reel. It transpired that two supposedly identical spools, weren't. One had a fractionally longer skirt. It manifested in a fractional catch on the rotor at the lowest point of travel in the spools oscillation cycle. The only solution I found was to not use the spools that caused problems.

Depends on the reel type and model. The little shim washers, that are sometimes supplied with front drag reels, are not for making spools fit. They are to adjust the front to rear line loading balance. The vast majority of reels give a nice even level straight out of the box. If a new reel doesn't load level fresh from the box, I'd suggest that you take it back to the shop.
Though there are reasons to do it, the vast majority of coarse anglers will never have any need to bias line loading to the front or rear of their spools.

caferacer

Reaction score
You have confirmed my initial worry Sam,Im using slightly later 2500 spools,I dont have an original spool.I must try and track one down.That should solve it.I wouldnt normally go to so much bother for an old reel but these Super X reels are a class act.If anyone can sell (or just lend me a spool just to see if it solves the problem)I would be very grateful.