Filling reels with bulk spool.

caferacer

Reaction score
I have a 600m bulk spool and want to fill 3 reels with it.Is there a way of loading 200m accurately onto each spool without the guess work?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You could walk 200mtrs off and wind it on.

seth49

Reaction score
Two sticks two hundred apart , tie line to first one, walk to second one go round that and back to first one, that should leave you with two hundred yards left on the spool of line.

Enjoy your walk.:)

greenie62

Reaction score
How do you measure-off 200m accurately?

Any errors in the measuring would be transferred - and doubled :eek: - in walking-off the 2x200m between sticks in the method above! - and how many people have got a 200m stretch of lawn/field to lay out 400m of trip-wire untramelled?

If you have - then walk-out the remaining ?200m? of line so you have 3 lengths of 200m - thus verifying the measurement and ensuring you have 3 equal lengths of line by adjusting the stick spacing!

Have fun! :eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
I have never thought of loading from bulk spools that accurately. They are usually so cheap I just fill up and when it needs replacing I rip about 100 yds off and fill again. I always have a couple of bulk spools of the bs I use spare to facilitate this.

Those spool fillers that hold bulk spools are good

caferacer

Reaction score
I`ve often wondered why line manufacturers dont have their bulk spools marked with graduated distance markers that can be seen when loading the spool,it would take all the guess work out and would save on wasted line,it would be a simple little thing for manufacturers to adopt.I usually want 100m other times on a pike drift reel I want 150m or on my carp reel when boating baits out I want 200m.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I`ve often wondered why line manufacturers dont have their bulk spools marked with graduated distance markers that can be seen when loading the spool,it would take all the guess work out and would save on wasted line,it would be a simple little thing for manufacturers to adopt.I usually want 100m other times on a pike drift reel I want 150m or on my carp reel when boating baits out I want 200m.

I once had a bulk spool marked as you say, i honeatly can't remember which make of line it was....possibly nash bullet :confused:0

sagalout

Reaction score
Use some verniers to measure the spool diameter, calculate the volume of 200 metres of chosen line, make sure you calculate each change of diameter as the line lays on top of itself, then mark the spool at the the calculated depth.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I truly believe the tackle manufacturers are missing a trick here......

Surely a simple, digital gizmo could be developed that clips to a rod ( through which passes the line and as you wind ( say ) running over a wheel ) and gives a reading of the accuracy required. I'm assuming most folk attach the reel to the first joint of a rod when adding line to a reel (?), but even if they don't now they could with this ingenious idea ! ( winky smilie here ! )

Maybe it needs to be something similar to a bite alarm sort of thing where line moving over a wheel sets off the alarm ( well, my old jobies do, anyway ! ) and this I'm sure could incorporate a digital scale reading off in metres.. This gizmo could be attached to the rod between the first and second ring for example with the line running over it or through it, under built in minimal, adjustable tension....

No, I'm not saying I have it dead right, but something along the above lines would work for all types of reel as it only needs the rod section to make it work......

I'm quite sure most anglers ( even those who have cobbled up systems at the moment ) would buy one as it would totally removes the inaccuracy problem as outlined by the OP............It wouldn't need to be a cheapo IMO as it's value to a fisherman would far out way the initial cost !

Any of you bright sparks able to enlarge on this - either that, or shoot it down in flames !!

As a long time retired engineer I can easily see this animal having legs - it just needs someone like Fox to develop it.........................IMHO

I just don't know where these wonderful ideas come from - they just pop into my head from time to time !! Hohohoho..

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I don't understand why there is a need to put 200 yards on a reel, doesn't a reel need to be filled?

caferacer

Reaction score
Generally you are right and 100m covers a lot of situations.However on my big pits I need 150 or 200m as I frequently boat out well over 100m and on a drifter reel I would usually let a bait drift out beyond 100m.On these reels its essential to have between 150-200 loaded on.

kenpm

Reaction score
Most big pit reels retrieve around one yard of line per turn of the handle on a full spool but less on an empty spool obviously.
If you count the number of turns of the handle required to fill spool number one lets say 230/250 you will probably get three spools out of 600 metres all depending on the reel some spools are much deeper than others,if its much more than that you might struggle to fill three spools so be prepared to add some backing first to one or all of the spools.

When it comes to big reels you normally get 3 spools out of 1000 meters so I suspect yours may be "midi" pit reels if you can fill them correctly with 200 meters.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score

Probably more than a simple little thing to have line markers every 50 yards.
You didn't mention the the line capacity of your empty reels.
If it isn't 200 yards this thread is somewhat redundant.

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Sorry.
200m.