Are all catapults the same

mikench

Reaction score
When I resumed this marvellous pursuit, one of the few items of tackle I had kept was a black catapult of unknown marque and age. I tried it once and the rubber broke. Fortunately this was in the garage!

I bought a guru one and apart from the first attempt on each trip which is wayward , I am reasonably accurate with it using maggots, pellets and small pieces of meat. I succumbed to the blurb about an ezfeeda but le's not say anymore about that!

Are some catapults better than others and should one have different types for different baits?

rayner

Reaction score
I only use Drennan and find them good for what I need. I have several in case one fails.
I have no idea if other are all the same or not, I prefer to stick with Drennan if they ever change to a different model that gives me trouble I will change.

john step

Reaction score
Best of luck. I have never mastered the art of accurate pulting.
I whack my fingers on the cup type but find the open mesh type easier.
I think they are made by people who hate me.

The elastic seems to rot with depressing regularity and replacement elastic seems as expensive as a new catty.

Luckily I usually fish at close range and hand chucking seems OK. Further out I find PVA a godsend.:D

mikench

Reaction score
My guru catapult elastic broke this afternoon at the point where it joins the the top of the U/V. Fortunately I have been able to fix it and I can see that the same thing will happen to the other side. I will give it a good wash tomorrow and cut of the worn 5mm.

I had to use the ezfeeda and it grew on me a little! I will buy a back up catapult, probably a Drennen.

Never tempt fate!!

robtherake

Reaction score

The elastic seems to rot with depressing regularity and replacement elastic seems as expensive as a new catty.

Luckily I usually fish at close range and hand chucking seems OK. Further out I find PVA a godsend.:D

It did me good to read this, John; my pulting's fine until I actually think about what I'm doing, then it goes all to cock. Bait gets dumped on the deck before the elastic's released; the pull-cord seems to find extra traction, resulting in a double-distance scatter-gun effect; a feeble ping drops bait just past my feet. It's the same regardless of make or model of catapult, so it must be my doing. :eek:mg:

It was always possible to shorten the old elastics when the pushed-on section had perished but this new stuff seems to perish all at once over its whole length and in less than half the time. :(

B

binka

I live by one golden rule John...

Carefully and painstakingly plumb up, then cast in, then feed.

Then retrieve and re-plumb to where the feed landed :D

rayner

Reaction score
I used to empty the pouch of my catapult before I was able to let it go due to my right hand not being as dextrous as it once was.
I tried the Ezee feeder and just didn't like it. apart from anything else the noise drove me mad.
After several attempts to form a catapult which could be used with one hand a very good friend of came up with a way.
He used a piece of Octoplus main frame that screwed to the front leg of my box, the catapult fits in the top and is fixed by a screw at the side.
It works a treat and I only have the odd pouch full that doesn't go where I need it.
I use different catapults for pole fishing or rod.

Mike if you are having spare catapults and are used to one, I would go for all the same brand. Just make sure you are comfortable with the one you decide on before buying spares.

mikench

Reaction score
Good idea. I am used to the guru so will probably get another. With the cost of elastic one might as well buy a new one! Used the ezfeeda yesterday despite fixing the catapult . It grew on me some more and proved quite capable up to around the 20 meter mark with maggots, method mix and even bits of bread.

I agree with you about the noise though! I am sure the guy on the next peg who had fallen asleep was awoken from his slumbers by the incessant twang! It isn't totally useless in truth: practice makes almost perfect!