Major blitz against illegal angling in bid to protect fish stocks

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Major blitz against illegal angling in bid to protect fish stocks

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_ev...al-angling-in-bid-to-protect-fish-stocks.html

thumbnail.php

Events of recent years have made campaigns such as this necessary. The possibility of 72 million Turks being given the right to unhindered travel in Europe and, very possibly, the UK, could make matters worse.

thecrow

Reaction score
Not enough and there is no chance of any organisation being properly funded to police our fisheries and protect them from fish killers. I wonder what we get for paying the fishing tax.

Any initiative is better than nothing and this is to be welcomed but until we have fishery protection and punishments on par with other countries fish killing will continue.

I am English, British at a push and have to abide by laws set in whatever country I choose to live in/visit, so should people that are allowed to come here if they choose not to then send them packing they wont be missed by me.

I will never be European and neither imo should this country, I just wonder if we leave the EU whether the EA will abandon the Water Framework Directive altogether as they seem to have paid it only lip service anyway.

greenie62

Reaction score
....I just wonder if we leave the EU whether the EA will abandon the Water Framework Directive altogether as they seem to have paid it only lip service anyway.

BUT - would you repay the money received to pay for the WFD implementation - seems to have got spent without significant benefit yet! :eek:

steve2

Reaction score
Haven't I read this somewhere before, nothing ever gets done or will be. Just lip service to an on going never ending problem.

thecrow

Reaction score
BUT - would you repay the money received to pay for the WFD implementation - seems to have got spent without significant benefit yet! :eek:

As it wasn't me that wasted anything why should I want to pay anything back? if anyone needs paying back it should be the EA fisheries departments paying anglers back by being removed from the government quango known laughingly as the "Environment Agency" along with all the top ranks of those that are stealing a living from the fishing tax. Replace it with an organisation chosen by anglers and responsible to anglers not self appointed and governed by whatever government think will be most popular and vote catching at any one time. The EA is at the moment a law unto itself with very little that anglers can do to change the way they operate.

If you read the blurb put out by the EA our rivers are cleaner than ever, yeah right, they may look cleaner but the are full of pollutants that cannot be seen and strangely enough the organisation that says they represent all branches of anglers refuse to do that in cases where they would be in the opposite corner to the EA since the EA gave them £4 million last year.

Fish killing will continue, there is very little to stop it although every little done towards stopping it is welcomed, signs in other languages, education, small fines all a waste of time, those EE's that want to fish within the law already do so I have fished with some who were good anglers but I have also seen the other side of the coin and the only way to stop those is more money spent on those at the sharp end of policing our waters and more severe penalties for those that are caught and if that means deportation so be it they would know the risks.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As the old saying north of the border goes: "many a mickle makes a muckle" so it follows that any initiative is better than no initiative at all.

My fervent hope is, however, that magistrates up and down the Country start to issue larger and larger fines, and more in accordance with the maximum fines allowable . . . . . As until and unless the fines are a true imposition to the offenders will there be any deterrent whatsoever.

Last edited:

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Sadly, I think it is a losing battle based on what I saw before I left the UK. I'm sure we all have some stories, but it is endemic and will only get worse as immigration increases.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The possibility of 72 million Turks being given the right to unhindered travel in Europe and, very possibly, the UK, could make matters worse.

From a purely Angling politics point of view, this is very misleading . . . . .

Firstly, any agreement between the EU and Turkey is ONLY applicable to the Schengen countries (of which Ireland and the UK are NOT signatory) and secondly the FACT that ANY Turkish citizen wishing to enter the UK will still be required to be in possession of a Valid Passport and applicable Visa . . . . .

Even so, the visa-free agreement within Schengen Countries, is only valid for a period of 90 days in any 180 days period, and does not give them any rights to work or reside . . . .

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
From a purely Angling politics point of view

To many people have already been allowed into this small country of ours, the thought that others may be allowed to come horrifies me, I dread to think what state our recources will be in by the time my younger grandchildren grow up.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
the thought that others may be allowed to come horrifies me

. . . in which case, you should have no fears whatsoever as there are Absolutely NO Changes to the Visa Requirements for Turkish citizens entering the UK.

Let's try to keep this discussion wholly related to Angling Politics only please . . . .

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
The article was about Yorkshire's trout and salmon,what about pike and carp or whatever else these poachers steal?

Send the poachers home for a month,less expenses of course, give a few weeks to think about it then let them come back to their jobs.

thecrow

Reaction score
Let's try to keep this discussion wholly related to Angling Politics only please

If the UK vote to leave the EU and stop the free movement of fish killers from some countries coming here will that affect angling in a good or a bad way?

If immigration is allowed to continue at its present rate what effect will it have on our river levels considering that abstraction and demand for water already put massive pressure on our rivers?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
A little too trusting, Peter? If a couple of million people from North Africa can simply invade Europe and be willingly accommodated then I'm sure that a huge number of Turks travelling freely 'for up to 90 days' in Europe without a visa - as per the proposed agreement - will find a way of staying and going on to obtain a European passport. With one of these they can freely enter the UK.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
No Cliff, not "too trusting" at all.

To obtain an EU Passport a refugee, or asylum seeker, is required to live, work and not have a criminal record for a minimum period of 6 years in most EU Countries and up to 10 years in some others.

There is absolutely nothing (concrete) whatsoever that would indicate that a Turkish visitor would be treated any differently . . . is there, other of course, than in some less than informed journalism (and I use the word in its' loosest form) in some so-called newspapers . . . . .

Regardless, I think we are straying too far from the remit of Angling politics only . . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
Hasn't the massive influx of legal and illegal immigrants already had enough of an effect on angling in this country? more water taken from rivers for drinking, more sewage to be dealt with before its pumped into our rivers (without the necessary investment in treatment plants) poaching and fish killing with impunity, the more that are allowed in the higher the pressure on our already stretched water recourses and already struggling riverine fish stocks, no wonder the number of river anglers is falling.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Crow, you are ascribing far too much (and disproportionately so) to the numbers of migrants here in the UK.

You appear to have either fallen into the trap, or have been misled to believe that all that ails our River fishing is directly the responsibility of immigrant anglers, when patently, this is just not the case.
Just do the maths . . . .

There is a hugely clever cartoon that is circulating on t'inter-web that shows 3 drawings.

Drawing 1 shows a chap riding a bike holding a stick in his right hand

Drawing 2 shows said chap thrusting said stick into the front wheel . . . .

Drawing 3 shows chap laying on the ground having gone over the handle bars and the only caption reads . . .

"ruddy immigrants"

Is there a problem is some areas with immigrants taking fish, yes, of course there is, it is published enough.

Can we lay the blame for "more water taken from rivers for drinking, more sewage to be dealt with before its pumped into our rivers (without the necessary investment in treatment plants) poaching and fish killing with impunity" wholly at the feet of EU migrants?

Absolutely not!

thecrow

Reaction score
You appear to have either fallen into the trap, or have been misled to believe that all that ails our River fishing is directly the responsibility of immigrant anglers, when patently, this is just not the case.

Peter I have fallen into no trap (whatever the trap is) nor have I been misled to believe anything. Anyone that knows me knows that I form my own opinions and do not follow sheep like with anything.

I have not subscribed all the problems our rivers have to immigrants but the massive uncontrolled influx of them into this country has imo had an effect on our rivers ( and other things but as this is a fishing site I will confine my post to fishing) that would be silly. Can you honestly say that they have had no effect on our rivers?

Our rivers and stocks were already struggling before our borders were opened to people from Europe to flood in, they have made things worse and to think that they have had little effect is imo wrong but as I am not allowed to expand on my views I will leave it at that.

Can I ask you please that if you choose to quote part of my post that you don't add bits on at the end of the quote such as this in your last post " wholly at the feet of EU migrants"
It makes it look as if I have posted that when clearly I have not.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I ask you please that if you choose to quote part of my post that you don't add bits on at the end of the quote such as this in your last post " wholly at the feet of EU migrants" It makes it look as if I have posted that when clearly I have not.

That is simply not the case . . . . the fact that I italicized your words within quotation marks and then altered the type to add my comments at the end are proof enough that those were "My words", and not yours

I have not, and would not, say that foreign anglers have had "no impact" on our rivers, but I would argue that said impact can only be in direct relationship to their numbers. That we need more extraction is an indigenous problem and is certainly not wholly due to the impact of foreign anglers.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the impact of anglers from foreign Countries.

thecrow

Reaction score
That we need more extraction is an indigenous problem and is certainly not wholly due to the impact of foreign anglers.

I would agree (partly) with that, the indigenous population of this country put enough pressure on our rivers through abstraction without the huge numbers of none indigenous people that have been allowed to enter our country. Net immigration numbers have been rising year on year with a Net government figure of 333k in 2015 alone, without those numbers pressure would be less and instances of fish killing would certainly be a lot less.

dunavski

Reaction score
I would agree (partly) with that, the indigenous population of this country put enough pressure on our rivers through abstraction without the huge numbers of none indigenous people that have been allowed to enter our country. Net immigration numbers have been rising year on year with a Net government figure of 333k in 2015 alone, without those numbers pressure would be less and instances of fish killing would certainly be a lot less.

And how many of them do fishing? I'm one of theese immigrants I've got rod license, angling trust membership, two club memberships and didn't kill any fish for the time I lived in UK except trout where it is allowed. I'm sure that there is more immigrant anglers like me.
Even if UK leaves EU it won't make mutch diffrence because UK's bussines relay massively on east europe workers especially in health care and agriculture and they will keep employing them so leaving EU won't solve the problem.