Water proofing clothing

chrissh

Reaction score
My bib & brace need a good wash and reproof … what is the best reproofing I want something good as I have the habit of resting a wet landing net on my knees when unhooking a fish

soft plastic

Reaction score
Nikwax is a good product. Available in a few forms. Can be applied direct or via the washing machine.

B

binka

My bib & brace need a good wash and reproof … what is the best reproofing I want something good as I have the habit of resting a wet landing net on my knees when unhooking a fish

I've used various in the past, 3M used to do a good one.

Having used it in brush on form on brollies I would be inclined to give the spray version of Fabsil Gold a go.

robtherake

Reaction score
Fabsil, or Fabsil Gold if it's a technical fabric...after washing all the merde off beforehand. :D

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

I've used various in the past, 3M used to do a good one.

Having used it in brush on form on brollies I would be inclined to give the spray version of Fabsil Gold a go.

I could use some o' that for my old Korum shelter, which has become somewhat porous since it was put away wet. :eek:mg:

Last edited:
B

binka

I could use some o' that for my old Korum shelter, which has become somewhat porous since it was put away wet. :eek:mg:

It's good stuff Rob, leaves a kind of waxy but dry finish.

Slugs are the worst things to put away still wrapped in a brolly, the damned things die and rot small holes in the fabric... I've had to patch a couple in the past due to this :mad:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Waterproofing products are usually specific to certain types of material eg I use Nikwax to reproof my walking jackets, but only because the label says this is what they recommend....does a very good job too..

I see some use Fabsil and Fabsil Gold, something I haven't tried, so I would be interested to know how users decide if it is suitable for the item they wish to proof. I may well be totally wrong but I don't recall seeing proofing instructions on brollies and the like ?

I'm aware of many types of spray for all sorts of applications ( I have a box full of these cans just for spraying walking boots that manage to change every time I buy more boots !! ) BUT some are definitely NOT for some products as they will just clog the material....

I'm NOT an expert on this subject and just interested in improving my knowledge on ways to keep dry, so any comment / opinion most welcome !!

B

binka

I see some use Fabsil and Fabsil Gold, something I haven't tried, so I would be interested to know how users decide if it is suitable for the item they wish to proof. I may well be totally wrong but I don't recall seeing proofing instructions on brollies and the like ?

In my case I went on my own searching around both here and other places on the web along with recommendation, Fabsil Gold seemed to be the accepted standard that many people had used and were happy with... Trakker actually recommend it for use on their bivvies so it seemed a safe bet.

It also helped to weed out a few other potential options like Thompsons which seem to have changed in recent years, probably due to EU regulations on what they can put in it.

It has done a very good job...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5GSrkA-Zg

The truth is out there :)