Carbon Reel Washers

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted carbon washers to a front drag Shimano? If so does it quicken the setting of the drag in a similar manner to the Daiwa Quick Drag system?

Thanks

lee_j

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted carbon washers to a front drag Shimano? If so does it quicken the setting of the drag in a similar manner to the Daiwa Quick Drag system?

Thanks

No it doesn't pal it changes the way the line is loaded on the spool , if the spool is loading up with more line going on at the front of the spool you put a washer on to level it out or you can put a few on to taper the line from the back to the front.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Lee. I referred to the washers in the spool that are located internally and form part of the front drag system. I'm OK with the line lay washers - they stay in the box.

I've since had a reply from the shop that sells the washers and if anyone else wanted to know, they don't provide a quicker drag setting. Nylon washers would though. Have decided that if it aint broke don't fix it.

robtherake

Reaction score
What carbon washers give you - as a direct one-for-one replacement of the same thickness as the original - is a smoother drag with a higher maximum drag setting. Not done it myself yet, but I've looked into it WRT old Mitchell reels. It was suggested that the cheapest way to do it is to buy carbon sheet (tons on Ebay in various thicknesses) and make them yourself, using the original washers as a template.