river fishing

caelan

Reaction score
TANGLERS
I look at a few fishing sites an they all seem to be saying there are people
on the rivers fishing the trent/severn an now this morning on the thames
in London why are they left to fish whats the point of the close season were are the EA

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's always been the same. Plenty of people that go fishing don't know or care what the law is. Most of the general public and the police don't know that there's a closed season. The number of EA bailiffs is pitifully small. They have to target venues where they can check the greatest number of anglers in the shortest time possible. Patrolling miles of river to check/catch a small number of people isn't the most cost effective plan. On a bank holiday weekend, from Easter onwards, it makes a lot of sense for them to trawl the big commercials. They get to check hundreds of anglers and catch more illegal/unlicensed anglers that they would trying to cover miles and miles of river.

All this comes before you consider odd little local bye laws. I've limited knowledge of those outside my area, but I can quite legally fish my local rivers for trout with worms. Many controlling bodies don't allow it, but many do. You can't look at someone trotting or legering on our local rivers in April/May and know that they are breaking the law. I understand that similar bye-laws exist in other parts of the country (South West and North West?).

If there's any chance of out of season anglers being caught, the people observing them will have to report them to the EA/police. There's little danger of routine patrolling picking them up.

thecrow

Reaction score
The closed season is a joke and not fit for purpose, it doesn't get policed, it gets ignored and on some stretches without the presence of legal anglers its a free for all for those that want to ignore the law. All sorts of none anglers can continue to use rivers for whatever they want most without paying any sort of tax to the EA.

There is no scientific evidence that the abolishment of the closed season on rivers would have a detrimental effect on them, I don't see still waters suffering because of the lack of a closed season and even some of those that advocate the retention of it fish still waters during this period, talk about being hypercritical.

B

binka

It's probably just Bob James doing a spot of shad fishing :wh

lambert1

Reaction score
On our club waters we have a pre-season working party. Last year we found several "new swims" fashioned by person or persons unknown. Thinking about it, it was an ideal opportunity as no club members would be likely to disturb them as the swims in question were off the beaten track. The landlords do not really enforce the private property rules and allow the public to walk their dogs etc so there is every opportunity. As previous posters have said, it is hard to enforce on rivers:(

wa1115

Reaction score
I contacted my local EA Bailiff this morning, as I had been out real early walking the bank with the dog and saw trout topping, I know they are wild brownies as I have caught them on this stretch before but always first day of the season. I enquired with said bailiff if I was legally allowed to fish this area now if using trout spinners. His reply was yes, but not to come any further down towards the nearest village which is about a mile and half walk as his phone would be constantly going off with people reporting me. Some areas do differ so I thought it best to check first.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On my local rivers it' fly only. Even if there are any bylaws allowing it all the controlling clubs have fly only during the closed caorse season.

I have to say as others have already that I think the closed river season is daft and should be done away with. No closed season would put an end to the sudden deluge of anglers that pile on the rivers on opening day...just for the sake of it !
It always makes me wonder how many nests etc are abandoned or trampled during this silly ritual !

robtherake

Reaction score
On my local rivers it' fly only. Even if there are any bylaws allowing it all the controlling clubs have fly only during the closed caorse season.

I have to say as others have already that I think the closed river season is daft and should be done away with. No closed season would put an end to the sudden deluge of anglers that pile on the rivers on opening day...just for the sake of it !
It always makes me wonder how many nests etc are abandoned or trampled during this silly ritual !

That's a seriously good point: continuous angling would see nesting birds avoiding the popular areas.