''Baited swim, please respect''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
This ''was'' a feature that was occasionally encountered back in the fifties and sixties, when prior to the opening of a new season some of us would ''rake a swim and bait up''. Then on the eve of the new season one or the other of us would nip down and leave a note usually in the form of an opened cigarette packet held in a split stick in the swim.

Do you think such tactics would be honoured today, and if not why?

My own view would be it would not be honoured, due to a decided lack of angling ethics or possibly increased angling pressure. Over to you.

B

binka

I wouldn't want to think I'm lacking in angling ethics but I don't generally agree with swim saving, never have.

I wouldn't fish the swim on the basis that I had another area in mind but decided to cash in on someone else's efforts but if I had that swim in mind initially and it was unoccupied then it's fair game in my eyes.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
The older generation may well respect this but i doubt the younger generation or the ever increasing overburden of EE illegals would take any notice at all ..

PG ...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I would respect it......and then wonder at the naivety of the individual who thought that most people would do likewise. They wouldn't . The world has changed and the days of gentlemen anglers are gone.

Who would actually even bother nowadays anyway ? Assuming you could get on the water to do it in the first place.....which I doubt.

thecrow

Reaction score
Its something that I have encountered (and done) on syndicate waters in the distant past, the syndicates numbers were small and there was no problem with doing it.

It may still be acceptable on similar waters nowadays but on large syndicates I have my doubts, club waters imo should not allow it and I doubt the average club member would respect it, I remember it being done on a club water and it caused no end of trouble, mostly from the older members.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to think I'm lacking in angling ethics but I don't generally agree with swim saving, never have.

I wouldn't fish the swim on the basis that I had another area in mind but decided to cash in on someone else's efforts but if I had that swim in mind initially and it was unoccupied then it's fair game in my eyes.

I don't really get that, Steve . Seems a bit contradictory to me from an ethical viewpoint.

B

binka

I don't really get that, Steve . Seems a bit contradictory to me from an ethical viewpoint.

That's ok Skip, I didn't expect it to be a popular view.

Let's say I, or anyone, had travelled a fair distance to fish somewhere and gone out of their way to get to the water early enough to stand a fair chance of getting a reasonable swim but only to find the best ones empty with notes saying they had been pre-baited?

And how long does the pre-baiter intend on reserving their swim for... A day, two days, a week?

I still think that if somebody wants to fish there badly enough then they should at least be there and not expect graces from other anglers who have made their own and likely considerable efforts.

Like I said, I wouldn't jump In on an opportunistic basis but if I already had the area in mind or conditions on the day dictated it, made my own efforts and the swim is unoccupied then it's a vacant swim and I don't think it is reasonable to expect other anglers to walk on by indefinitely.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I fully agree with Binka. If I had made the effort to get to a water early why should I have to make do with what's left. I would also think it a liberty to try to reserve a swim in this manner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
Did this back in the 60 early 70 close season and never had a swim fished by anyone else. None of my clubs allow pre baiting now so it's not an issue. Strange thing is though if I were to camp out in a swim like some carp anglers, bait up every day and wait for the fish to arrive it not classed as pre baiting.

thecrow

Reaction score
And how long does the pre-baiter intend on reserving their swim for... A day, two days, a week?

On one small syndicate it was left for a week and then it was first come first served, mind on there most members had their own favourite area's that they liked to fish more than others and being a Carp water most were there for at least 3/4 days so it was never a problem.

To be honest I have had more success from none prebaited starts than prebaited and if everyone is at it the fish will not be hungry because of the amount of bait that some chose to introduce.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have swim in mind on a tiny Notts river, A couple of weeks ago I made a long weed scythe to clear me a run thro long streamer weed so I could run a float down it.
I did consider doing it a week ago and even tried it elsewhere to see if it ( the scythe) was ok for the job,
In the end I backed off knowing full well that more local anglers living nearby would jump in and use it on opening day .
I will do it tho but after the early season mad rush as calmed down a little.
Regarding "booking" a swim with a note for someones use on opening day, sorry, first come first served, its just not on.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I like to think that you would stand a good chance of this being observed on a small club venue even in this day and age.

Personally, I'd not "poach" the swim that some else had put the time and effort into preparing . . . . .

Years ago you would often see these little signs on the rivers in my area as well as on some of the lakes and ponds, and, in general, they were observed.

That is just my "take" on the matter, but then I firmly believe in many of the "old fashioned" values . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know swims i'd love to put my name on but you can't do it in reality it's ridiculous!
If I go to the river or where ever and there's a sign in a swim that I wanted to fish i'd fish the swim.
Etiquet/old fashioned values and all that is fine but claiming a swim is bang out of order and showing no respect to others...jmo.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Did this back in the 60 early 70 close season and never had a swim fished by anyone else. None of my clubs allow pre baiting now so it's not an issue. Strange thing is though if I were to camp out in a swim like some carp anglers, bait up every day and wait for the fish to arrive it not classed as pre baiting.

It wouldn't be Steve they are actually there.

If the angler lived close to the water he could reserve it the previous day or earlier and that isn't fair to other anglers who, like myself, have to travel a considerable distance to get to the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
On one small syndicate it was left for a week and then it was first come first served, mind on there most members had their own favourite area's that they liked to fish more than others and being a Carp water most were there for at least 3/4 days so it was never a problem.

To be honest I have had more success from none prebaited starts than prebaited and if everyone is at it the fish will not be hungry because of the amount of bait that some chose to introduce.

Now that I can relate to. I think its not unreasonable for somebody who has put a bit of effort into preparing a swim to have "first dibs" for a week or so....though realistically you'd expect them to be occupying the swim anyway. I think this only really "works" properly on club waters and/or where the close season is enforced. I cant see the point in prepping a swim that's open to everyone all year round.

So....if we are talking about pre June 16th then I would personally respect any sign for the first week. Thereafter its every man for himself. I'd feel proper hacked off if I'd put a load of work in only to find some lazy, opportunist sat in said swim....who no doubt will deny all knowledge of any sign. Just plain bad manners IMO.

And by prepping I mean proper preparation & pre-baiting. Sticking a pair of banksticks in a swim for your mate who will be along after he's finished work does not count.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I would respect it....but then I'm old!

It makes me laugh however when I have seen someone prebaiting a river swim for barbel for a week or so prior to season start......when the fish are half a mile away having cuddles.

The other species enjoy the food though and generally are around to be caught later. Especially bream if they are present.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

I use to fish a water in the 1960tys where good manners prevailed and if you raked and prebaited a swim, the other anglers on the lake respected your efforts and would not fish it.

Nowadays I would not expect this to happen, generations of " Thatcherites " have done away with that type of attitude, it's all look after No 1 now !!

Bob

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Towels on sunbeds come to mind. If you're not at the swim early enough to guarantee your occupancy why should others who've made the effort have to go elsewhere. Personally if I prebaited a swim (which I don't) I would not advertise the fact in the first place.

team man

Reaction score
Interesting thread this, prepared swims was a thing I used to see as a kid when fishing in the late 30's into the 50's, , not just prior to the season but often all the way through the season, everyone respected them, but must admit life was a lot different then in many ways, many things I'd like to go back to, but not all.

robtherake

Reaction score
Respect, sadly, is very much a thing of the past, replaced by a boorishness bordering on the confrontational. The "I want it now!" philosophy extends to all walks of life and even angling - the gentlest of pastimes - is not immune to its influence.

Enlightened clubs and syndicates may adopt rulings which will be followed by the like-minded members, but on a day-ticket venue you might as well put up a sign saying, "Sit right here - all the hard work's been done by some trusting loser."