How much liquidized bread for a 6 hour session

nova12

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help on the bread thread I've blended the bread up and was wondering how much to use on a session .
I've bagged then up into 6 slice batches with no crusts and froze them. will this be enough for a session on the float with a punched bit of bread on the hook? Or will I need more feed?also am I best putting it in n small balls I'll also be feeding hemp sparingly.
Any help much appreciated

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help on the bread thread I've blended the bread up and was wondering how much to use on a session .
I've bagged then up into 6 slice batches with no crusts and froze them. will this be enough for a session on the float with a punched bit of bread on the hook? Or will I need more feed?also am I best putting it in n small balls I'll also be feeding hemp sparingly.
Any help much appreciated

Its bit like how long is a piece of string. If you are roaching (hemp being used sparingly ??) then I would suggest a finger nail size piece in conjunction with a small piece of punch. How the fishing goes determines how much for 6 hours!

If you are after carp on a commie?? then obviously up the feed and bait size to something bigger. Drennan bread FLAKE punches are ideal for this.

Just do it. It will become apparent to you very quickly.

nova12

Reaction score
Thanks I read that bread can stodge fish up quickly there are a few carp in there but it would be chub and tench mainly and crusions I was going to feed the hemp with the bread crumb every little and often I usually put a good hand of hemp in while I setup level fr 45mins then feed little and often after this

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The old adage still holds good and that is:

"Feed to your bites"

The more bites are are getting then a little more feed is needed, less bites then hold back on the feed for a while.

Liquidised bread can "feed off" even quite large fish, so after an initial feed then wait and see how the bites occur before putting in more . . . .

It is a good idea to keep your feed bread in Ziploc bags, as you say in 6 slice batches.

For the hook I find that 5 seconds in a microwave and then a light roll makes for better hook baits when punched.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
NOVA12.......When I first read your post I was under the impression you were fishing for roach with your punched bread over liquidised bread and hemp. All of this suggests small hooks and fine fishing and a great way to catch roach...
Then I read another post which says you're after tench, chub, carp and crucians, which, apart from the crucians might need more substantial tackle and POSSIBLY a slightly different approach to catching them and would POSSIBLY bring more fish in the net !

I am NOT saying you cannot catch on your punched bread and your question was ' how much liquidised bread you need for a session ' but I would like to know how you arrived at this method in the first place ?

I would also be interested to know more about the tackle you intend using ( hook size, rod type etc etc ) approximate depth of water in the swims you fancy and if you are fishing on the bottom, off the bottom or even mid water ?? Are you fishing a commercial ? Even time of day might make a difference !

As I've said, your question was only asking about the liquidised bread so maybe I'm asking too many questions outside of this, and if that is the case then the suggestions already given by others are just fine and I don't want to complicate matters !!

It is only my opinion, but to my mind you cannot just consider one factor in fishing without giving consideration to many others...Only my opinion, though !

Good luck, anyway !!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Saw a guy last night in Sainsburys buying sliced loaves of bread which had all been marked down on price. He must have had at least 20. I stated he either was going to make loads of butties or he was a fisherman! The latter he replied with a grin.

He could make alot of liquidised bread with that lot!:rolleyes:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
remember - you can always put more in if the fish are feeding but you can't take bait out once you put it in - so don't overfeed - what you don't use you can take home and freeze

rayner

Reaction score
I rarely use liquidised bread in warmer months and prefer to use caster for Roach.
I mostly fish bread flake when temperatures rise and can easily get through a full loaf, for feed I use mashed bread. The Carp in my closest fishery love it plus the Bream and Tench.
I don't use a punch, just prefer to rip pieces off a slice.

nova12

Reaction score
I'll be on a size 16 14 hook 6lb libe on a maver abyss 11 foot float rod fishing close in to bushes bout 5 foot deep at the most fishing a local lake full of chub tench roach crusions carp rudd the reason I'm trying it is because the bloke at the side of me was using this method and was pulling tench and crusions and the odd carp out all day long and though I might try it for a change

rubio

Reaction score
Sounds like you got plenty of scope there to have a lot of fun.
As for your how much question I couldn't say how much to use but if you take it in bags it will refreeze ok.
As always start off fishing for a bite. Even the tiniest pinch can achieve that. The odd grain of hemp should start to build up a feed area underneath the cloud of bread particles to keep fish around when they come to investigate. Build your confidence in using bread if it is unfamiliar to you. It is a guaranteed favourite anywhere at some time or other. It will rarely blank if anything at all is feeding in my experience. I would love to claim to be one of the genuine experts that know just how to wean off the roach from the tiny specks they love so much and onto bigger baits you can put on a hook. Both I and the fish know I'm not, but I get a good few decent enough specimens here and there after learning a few tricks using it.
At 50p per tesco toastie loaf I wouldn't be crying if I just fed any waste to the ducks anyway.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Saw a guy last night in Sainsburys buying sliced loaves of bread which had all been marked down on price. He must have had at least 20. I stated he either was going to make loads of butties or he was a fisherman! The latter he replied with a grin.

He could make alot of liquidised bread with that lot!:rolleyes:

I wonder who that could possibly have been ? :rolleyes:

nova12

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help I will let you no how I get on at the weekend :)