Eddie Benham: The Bivvy

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Eddie Benham: The Bivvy

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18355-eddie-benham-the-bivvy.html

thumbnail.php

Bivvies? We 'ad it toof! Read of Eddie Benham's first bivvy...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"How on earth did we manage all those years ago with just an old well worn blue tarpaulin?"

Well, for starters we went pretty much cold, usually damp if not soaked to the skin, hungry and thirsty, and if the fish were not "having it" then we were bored stiff as well . . . . . I could not count the nights I spent in an over-wrap "bivvy" wrapped up in a a blanket and shivering for all I'm worth.

While I would not, personally, invest in a bivvy sandwich toaster I do have a Cobb BBQ Oven, so I am not limited to the ubiquitous (and not fit for human consumption) pot noodles . . . . .

I really see nothing at all wrong in being; comfortable, dry, warm and well fed and watered when I'm away for a weekend or longer, but even I would draw the line at a Sky dish on my bivvy.

That is not to say that I don't listen to the radio or watch a movie on my I-pad at all, but then I rarely if ever fish through the entire night, preferring to bring the rods in, cook a decent meal and get some sleep to be ready for just before first light the next day . . . . . .

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Fairly rare overnighters for me were always after tench and normally sat under an inadequate brolly. I did graduate to a tarpaulin wrapped around the brolly a few times but it was typically more trouble than it was worth.

But I've just spent most of yesterday preparing for (an equally rare) long session starting this afternoon. Hopefully again after tench but now I have filled the car with Bivvy, bedchair, chair, sleeping bag (fat chance with the guys I'm meeting up with), some scaffolding to rest a couple of rods on, gas cooker and enough food and water to feed all of us! I am looking forward to it as whatever happens it will be a fun 24 hours or so.

Full overnighters for me are almost non existent but short sessions into dark or dawn are a favourite when chasing barbel. Minimal tackle and accompaniments and being mobile are the way to go. Again I'm looking forward to a few of those back on Stour/Avon as this coming season will be my first summer since moving down here last year.