Spinning for Trout

burt

Reaction score
Hello all,

My lad wants me to take him fishing for trout but alas I cannot flyfish!

So - spinning is the next best option. I've been trawling the net but can't find anywhere that allows it.

Can anyone recommend anywhere (river or fishery) which allows spinning in the Midlands/Staffs/Hereford and Worcester or Derbyshire?

If it's somewhere which also has camping then that would be perfect

Thanks for your help!

terry m

Reaction score
Can't recommend anywhere in that part of the world - sorry. But did a lot of spinning for trout in my youth and the Devon Minnow (are they still available) was deadly!

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Can't help with a venue close to you, but Tavistock Trout Fishery in Devon have a small "catch your own" pool if you're ever down that way.

When I was a boy, my dad used to take me to Horton Trout Fishery on my birthdays. It was an any method trout fishery for a while, then became fly only, then got turned in to yet another carp fishery. We hired a boat which added to the adventure and bringing a fish or two home for dinner fulfilled my hunter-gatherer desires at the time. Great memories.

It's a shame that there aren't more any method, or at least spinning venues for trout available in the UK.

burt

Reaction score
Thanks all for your help - much appreciated!

No to teach my son that fishing does not guarantee catching . . .

Richard Jamieson 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

My lad wants me to take him fishing for trout but alas I cannot flyfish!

So - spinning is the next best option. I've been trawling the net but can't find anywhere that allows it.

Can anyone recommend anywhere (river or fishery) which allows spinning in the Midlands/Staffs/Hereford and Worcester or Derbyshire?

If it's somewhere which also has camping then that would be perfect

Thanks for your help!
Burt, in a lot of respects, fly-fishing is the easiest form of fishing. Give it a go. Tackle can be had for very little outlay and its really not rocket science to cast a fly - although some would have you believe it is to try and preserve some ill placed mystery! :) The end result is you'll have access to a far greater number of waters than you would with a spinning outfit and therefore save a few bob in petrol towards the cost of the tackle. I'd be happy to post a few flies down to you if you decide to give it a go. :)

burt

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies.

Sunkist-bob, you've inspired me to give it a go!

Thanks also for your offer of some flies, that would be great.

Happy to pay for them, if you PM me your details.

Shall let you know how I get on!