Small fish

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Couple of ponds I fish occasionally are absolutely full of small roach and rudd, but there are also some nice carp to about 15lb which give a good account on the rod

The only way to fish for the carp is on a feeder using at least 8mm bait and it would be nice to float fish for the carp but bait get attacked and the float is constantly knocked.

Now I bet there's load of small ponds around the country like this, what the EA could do is offer to net the small fish for free and take them away and put some in rivers (after ensuring they are disease free) and grow other on to a decent size for sale to fishery owners

In return the EA could put back some of the decent sized fish in to the ponds the small fish were netted from for free

I understand there are logistical issues but it would re-stock rivers and improve fishing

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Lord Paul.
I couldn't agree more. Last few times couldn't even fish with 12 mm pellets or whole king prawns.

The roach rudd bream do go over the 1lb sometimes but you could catch 50lb in a couple of hours if you wanted.

Its not a challenge. There are literally tens of thousands.

Keith M

Reaction score
As long as it's not done in any of the rivers and streams that I fish; because they already have healthy stocks of fish of all sizes. Lol.

What rivers do you have in mind M'Lord ?

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most places don't want small fish from waters that have an abundance of them. There's a chance that they'll be old, stunted fish that may not grow on and may be past their peak fecundity. However, there are waters that would welcome any fish, especially if the costs involved were as low as possible.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would argue that the degree of biodiversity that you are experiencing on those ponds Paul is actually a good thing.

In the angling world we have far too many "single species" venues, so what is wrong with having to tune your baits and methods to be more selective.
Only by so doing will we become better anglers . . . surely?

Personally I'd be inclined to target the smaller fish on that venue, as I said, there are altogether enough carp (or barbel) venues available elsewhere.
In fact, a venue that holds a decent head of small fish is becoming more of a rarity these days, so I'd want to value that pond.

Try fishing a 4m whip to hand, with maggot hook baits and feeding pinkies, and see what the small fish population there really is . . . .

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Peter
I don't want to remove all the small fish from the pond - just thin them out a bit - thus giving the remaining roach and rudd a chance to grow to a decent size say the 1lb mark

I do enjoy a "tiddler bashing session" on the pond on occasions and it's great in the colder months when the carp don't feed to be able to catch, but catching a fish the size of your little finger every cast can be boring

vort

Reaction score
Ponds with large numbers of small fish are ideal for introducing novices to the art of fishing. I wish I had access to a few such ponds as several friends have expressed an interest in a fishing "taster" session.

ciprinus

Reaction score
Peter
I don't want to remove all the small fish from the pond - just thin them out a bit - thus giving the remaining roach and rudd a chance to grow to a decent size say the 1lb mark

I do enjoy a "tiddler bashing session" on the pond on occasions and it's great in the colder months when the carp don't feed to be able to catch, but catching a fish the size of your little finger every cast can be boring

and isnt it amazing the size of hook those fingerlings will get in their gob :D:D