Rod repair

waynec22

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just after a little advice please.

I bought a korum cs series feeder rod a while back, however one of the eyes were damaged when I received it. I was refunded but I git to keep the rod, question is, is it worth while repairing the eye, or buying a new rod, bearing in mind the rod is only about 40 pound new anyway.

If it is worth repairing, providing it is relatively cheap, where do I have this done, local tackle shop or would I need to send it away?

Thanks

seth49

Reaction score
I'd certainly ask at your tackle shop, they might do it or know someone who will.
If not I would get some thread and varnish and have a go at doing it yourself

It's not that difficult to do, and it won't cost that much, sure there's plenty of videos on utube that show how to do il.

john step

Reaction score
Agreed its very simple. I bet there are lots of videos on Youtube.
You can get rings on line if your tackle shop cannot supply.

bracket

Reaction score
Certainly worth repairing yourself. The ring will be a couple of quid, dependent on which one it is. Then all you need is a bobbin of thread, dope and varnish. Make sure you file the ends of the ring legs to a fine taper with no burrs or sharp edges. This will allow you to easily make the whipping climb up on to the leg. You make the whip by spinning the rod away from you with one hand and keeping the thread tight with the other. If you have difficulty trapping the thread at the start you can use a tiny drop of super glue to hold it. Glue the thread end facing down the lenght of the rod towards the ring and when set turn the thread at 90 degrees to the rod so when you whip you trap the glued end under the whipping. First position the ring on the rod using small strips of masking tape, it peels off easier than cellatape. Always whip up the leg of the ring and before you reach the end of the wipping, say the last 6 turns whip in a short looped length of thread, tag ends towards you. You use this to pull the end of the thread back under the whipping to finish off and secure it. If you wish to pause duing the whipping process just trap the whipping where you are feeding it on, with the index finger or thumb of the hand spinning the rod whilst you take a breather. As has already been said, plenty of examples on YouTube. With the whipping completed treat it with two coats of dope and as many coats of varnish as you like. After a bit of practice it becomes a piece of p#ss. Pete.

Last edited:

waynec22

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, very helpful!

The ring itself is attached to the rod fine, there is an inner that runs around the inner edge of the eye, that cracked off leaving quite a sharp edge to the eye.

I will have a good look on the Internet and attempt it myself, definitely save me buying a new rod just before the river opens.

robtherake

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, very helpful!

The ring itself is attached to the rod fine, there is an inner that runs around the inner edge of the eye, that cracked off leaving quite a sharp edge to the eye.

I will have a good look on the Internet and attempt it myself, definitely save me buying a new rod just before the river opens.

If the frame's undamaged it might be possible to re-line the ring with a new inner, which saves all the bother of whipping on a new 'un. If you're a regular at your local tackle shop they might waive any charge since it's such a small job - mine did. :)