My new box set up got wet...

fishplate42

Reaction score
...and so did I :( The full story can be found HERE. Until yesterday I thought I could do without a brolly. Now I am not so sure.

So what do you think? What brolly, if any, do you use?

Ralph ;)

slaphead

Reaction score
Excellent story, as always, Ralph.

My brolly is a cheap Keenets one which I rarely use. I tend to wear waterproof clothing instead.

Jim

mikench

Reaction score
Well written Ralph! My wife who cannot stand fishing will have liked the literal and humorous way you wrote your piece. I will insist she reads it!

Fishing can have genuine artistic qualities! Move over Will Self!

Off sea fishing tomorrow and know I will not catch a thing but what the heck, I will be in the sun by the sea with a flask of quality coffee. La vie est bon!������������

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

I started a thread about brollies. The truth of the matter is if I am all set up and it starts to rain , I will erect my brolly as best I can. If it is raining before I set off I will stay at home! I may be a wimp but I know what I am!

Andy Pet

Reaction score
After having various brollies over the last 30 years fishing, my latest aquisition is a Korum 50" brolly. Looks great in the garden when it's up. It will probably never rain again at weekends but if it does I'll let you know how it performs. It has two pegging points at the rear and is supplied with bivvy pegs, there is also the facility to use guy ropes too for extra support. I've got 2 spare adaptors for attaching storm poles as well so it should be stable in a wind - unless the direction changes.

Looks good so far though

mikench

Reaction score
How do you peg down such a brolly on a wooden pallet suspended a foot above the water? I suspect you cannot! There are few pegs on the waters I fish where this would be possible and as many members have stated ,one cannot really fish from beneath a brolly!

Andy Pet

Reaction score
On a wooden pallet I wouldn't, it would be set up as a normal brolly. The option is there though if one wishes and can.

It's not a specimen brolly with sides, etc

fishplate42

Reaction score
On a wooden pallet I wouldn't, it would be set up as a normal brolly. The option is there though if one wishes and can.

It's not a specimen brolly with sides, etc

When you say "it would be set up as a normal brolly" do you mean in a brolly clamp on the leg of a box/chair?

Ralph.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Exactly. On a box with the Preston double umbrella arm. It can also be tilted by repositioning the centre pole, and, if the terrain allows, also be pegged down to secure. There's also the option of attaching guy ropes, again, if they can be suitably secured.

I've always been able to fish from under a brolly when it's raining using a rod and line

robtherake

Reaction score
A far too small 45" no-name brolly that accompanies me on longer walks when it's inclement. Too small to get everything and me underneath, I often end up with sodden lower legs rather than get my clobber wet. On the plus side it was only a fiver brand new from the boot sale.

Otherwise, it's a Badger 60" brolly - which is a bit of a heavy brute - or a well-used Korum Mk1 shelter, which I much prefer to any brolly you can name. It needs re-proofing, but has stood up well to the test of time. The tensioning bungees in the poles have snapped a time or two, but it's an easy repair, considering that the knotted-together end still fits inside. Best of all, it's possible to sling the gear in without worrying too much about placement and still have plenty of room left for a dry piscator perched on a Korum chair as old as the shelter - Korum gear just lasts and lasts. :)

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Exactly. On a box with the Preston double umbrella arm. It can also be tilted by repositioning the centre pole, and, if the terrain allows, also be pegged down to secure. There's also the option of attaching guy ropes, again, if they can be suitably secured.

I've always been able to fish from under a brolly when it's raining using a rod and line

I've often wondered about those brolly clamps. Surely they're just a secondary attachment, additional to the ground spike and pegs. How else would you stop the whole caboodle blowing over in anything more than a breeze, unless the box is full of diver's weights? When I bought the Korum chair it already had every attachment known to man - including a brolly clamp - but I've never dared use it in case the whole thing blew over every time I stood up. :eek:

Last edited:

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I've often wondered about those brolly clamps. Surely they're just a secondary attachment, additional to the ground spike and pegs. How else would you stop the whole caboodle blowing over in anything more than a breeze, unless the box is full of diver's weights? When I bought the Korum chair it already had every attachment known to man - including a brolly clamp - but I've never dared use it in case the whole thing blew over every time I stood up. :eek:

That's the trick, you never get off! Seriously, If it was that windy it would be at 45 degrees pegged and guy roped to the deck......unless it's a wooden suspended pallet I get the message :)

fishplate42

Reaction score
That is not a problem. Doesn't one just take the butler with you for the day, ol' chap, to hold the brolly while you are not in residence?

I really don't know, you just cant get the quality of staff these days.

Ralph :rolleyes: