Perch n Polystyrene

flightliner

Reaction score
I normally have my morning coffee watching the BBCs red button info, I must say I was intriqued to read that small Perch can develop a liking/taste for polystyrene.
My first thought was that it isnt April 1st. Awful scenario tho that stuff like this can find its way into the foodchain :eek:

robtherake

Reaction score

thecrow

Reaction score
The dumping/ discarding of plastic in the oceans is something that cannot be policed and from what I have seen in the media its not only the unseen small particles that do damage to wildlife but larger pieces as well such as the stuff that is eaten by turtles thinking it to be jelly fish. The only solution that I can see is a ban on plastics but I cant see that happening.

I never knew about these tiny bits that are in cosmetics toothpastes and the like until I read the article in the link, what I find interesting is this piece in the article

Ministers in the UK have already said that if the EU cannot adopt a common position on the issue then Britain is prepared to ban them unilaterally.

If these particles are so damaging/dangerous to wildlife surely there should be no problem with a complete ban on them? its good to see that the UK will "go it alone" if that doesn't happen though.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I don't think it's any coincidence that the sand on our local beaches is mixed with a myriad plastic granules of every conceivable type and that a chemical site where millions of tons of the stuff was/is produced lies 5 miles away. I worked there for several years, so I know that there's a very large quantity of sub-standard product that needs to be disposed of....somehow.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Funny that, I just read an article in the I paper today re the same. Apparently its all the tiny plastic beads they put in tooth paste and other products. They are micro sized and they are finding there way into our river systems. Perch particularly are using them as a food source stunting there growth and fertility.
It really is a bad thing plastics and something should be done to stop it. Why do we need tooth paste with these in! Beyond me.

robtherake

Reaction score
Usually the cheapest way possible.

My work friend shared a name with one of the directors of the company (a very big multinational) and received an internal post intended for that recipient. I was waiting in the friend's office and idly opened his - unsealed - mail and came across a damning document. It detailed - for that year - every toxic liquid leak that had made it to a waterway and whether it had been reported to the NRA. Some of these unreported pollutions involved tonnes of toxic product or chemical effluent which could have caused horrific fatalities to people, let alone fish. I was very young at the time and really didn't want my mate to catch any flak for what would have been a sackable offence in a period of high unemployment, so in the end I took no action, something which has haunted me to this day.

flightliner

Reaction score
I Understand how serious this is ( honestly ) but the devil in me cant help thinking of the repercusions to Binka's worm supplier:D .

rubio

Reaction score
I believe the effects that are reported relate to marine Perch, rather than our familiar striped favourite. Those represent a hefty sum of money to commercial interests around the world. Possibly the explanation for why someone set up research about it.
Or maybe I'm being overly cynical