Creaky rods?

robtherake

Reaction score
At full deflection, my Middy Micro Muscle float rod creaks like a galleon in a gale! I tried in vain to identify the cause while I was using it - without getting to the bottom of it - but was starting to wonder whether it's the rings or ringing; or possibly that the 8lb mainline is starting to wear out, although there are no obvious signs. That particular spool was filled several years ago and has only ever seen light use, being stored in the reel bag between times. I confess that I haven't checked the rings individually, so it could be a cracked liner, I suppose. Time to get the lighted magnifier out to assist my bat-eyes, maybe.

Anyone else got or had a creaky rod? :eek::D

sumtime

Reaction score
Rob, have you inspected the joints? and I don't mean yer knee/elbows. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rob, I would imagine it's your line making the noise on the guides, possibly where the blank goes into the handle...can't really be ewt else I don't think.....lol.

robtherake

Reaction score
Rob, I would imagine it's your line making the noise on the guides, possibly where the blank goes into the handle...can't really be ewt else I don't think.....lol.

Yeah, I'm going to get it out of the van "boot" and give it the once-over, now I'm finished for the day. We're off to Kingfisher caravan park (near Knaresborough/Harrogate) for a few days, so it'll have to be tickety-boo or else the 12ft Reactorlite will be pushing it into second place for a while. :)

lakhyaman

Reaction score
I have to say that my acolyte ultra 13ft float rod does the same. It is the line through the rings which makes the noise. But then I overload it with 12 lb line and fifteen pound fish at the other end. It still holds them away from the snags. Does very well!

All the best

Lakhyaman

robtherake

Reaction score
What was your verdict in the end Rob?

Dunno yet, Mike; last time out I was fishing into 15 feet of water so the Middy stayed in the bag . I've waxed the joint and checked the rings under a hand lens but I have a feeling that the line needs changing, so I'll reserve judgement till then.

mikench

Reaction score
Noted Rob. The rod hasn't arrived at the shop yet and they blame Middy! I am not so sure. At this rate when it finally makes an appearance I will have gone off fishing completely and devoted the rest of my life to shopping with the wife! No chance!