''The daft things we did''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
In the belief that a spooked fish is less likely to accept our baits, some of us back in the early sixties went to extraordinary lengths to achieve that goal.

As well as the cardinal rule of approaching the desired swim as carefully as possible. We would if necessary reduce the flash from rods,(fibre glass) by giving them a light rub down with a mild abrasive. Lines were often dyed in an attempt to match varying bottom colour/or features. Ledger weights were treated likewise with a dab of paint.

Some may say we were a bit OTT, but we were engrossed with the possibilities, and passionate about our fishing. Imagine my surprise to be shown recently some of the newer ledger weights now available by a Barbel fishing friend, They really did resemble pebbles in various sizes.

It's a small world, but on reflection not so daft after all.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

Nothing is new in fishing or so they say.

I wonder if the really long rod rests we used in the 1970tys and the wait until the ring of silver paper hits the butt ring is any different from the free spool reels and screaming runs we get today.

The old thinking that Perch and Eels don't like resistance on a take, I'm told by others the constant light resistance matters little with these species.

The same with open bale arm's and Pike fishing, a running lead and lightly set baitrunner seems to catch more Pike and less deep hooked Pike ?

Bob

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when light and subtle with minimal resistance was considered the only way to catch specimen fish; then the boilie boys came along and it was stiff hook lengths, super tight lines and heavy leads and they caught a lot and not just carp. I briefly flirted with this style of fishing. It wasn't a very happy time and didn't last long, but it did make me really think about what I wanted to achieve with my rigs and bait presentation.

thecrow

Reaction score
I am sure that the sales of ex army camouflage clothing must have been at their height during these times.

Plenty of camouflage on sale now but what use it is when worn by someone wielding a mallet I don't know :D

mikench

Reaction score
As a lad equipped with a bamboo and fibreglass rod, an Intrepid Black Prince reel, aluminium maggot tin with perforations in the top and a wicker basket tackle box, I caught loads of silver fish in the local "cut" and was happy as Larry.

Today with all the latest gear, hooks, rigs ,reels, chair and attachments I am just as happy if not happier. Depth charge feeders , the method, maggot feeders, hair rigs, wagglers, seat boxes, rods of every length imaginable, who would have thought it. I am happy and proud achieving a hand made twizzled loop and a hair rig; sad isn't it!:

Now if I could just catch something big!!!:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In the belief that a spooked fish is less likely to accept our baits, some of us back in the early sixties went to extraordinary lengths to achieve that goal.

Not only in the 70's Derek . . . .

I well remember one (once prolific) poster here on FM who was waxing lyrical about how to approach a swim when he made a typo' error that lived long to return to haunt him, thus:

"Wear drag clothing and practice to be still . . . . . "

He obviously meant "drab" clothing, which if you knew the gentleman was an apt description of his typical garb . . . . . but the typo' was a true gem, and one that long haunted him.

john step

Reaction score
Not only in the 70's Derek . . . .

I well remember one (once prolific) poster here on FM who was waxing lyrical about how to approach a swim when he made a typo' error that lived long to return to haunt him, thus:

"Wear drag clothing and practice to be still . . . . . "

He obviously meant "drab" clothing, which if you knew the gentleman was an apt description of his typical garb . . . . . but the typo' was a true gem, and one that long haunted him.

Yes those sequins and bright red high heels would have frightened more than the fish:eek: