''The take''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
That's the moment when the float dips and slides away. Or the alarm shrieks, the indicator rises or falls, or maybe it's when the lure stops dead in its tracks. Everything is crystalised in that micro second, heart racing expectation. Sometimes resulting in the fish we have dreamed of, but more often not, but the take will compensate for that. For that's where it all begins, at least it seems so to me. From the young kid with a garden cane and a bent pin, to the grizzled veteran with the latest cutting edge tackle.

What do you think?

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Yes, magical moment. At one point I got in to free lining for pike in river margins. Used braid and had a small bow in the line from the water to the rod tip. I fished one rod and sat next to it. It was an extremely sensitive form of bite indication. I could see drop back bites, as well as runs instantly. It was electrifying and if I was a less rational person, I would say that I could predict when the next take was going to happen with accuracy! Weird.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Love that when the float just slides away purposely and you just know its a good fish or when the float does a tremble and you think not another 2oz roach and suddenly it all goes solid and something does the crazies on you; the exception when its an eel; a bit like when you meet the woman of your dreams and she turns out to be a man feeling.---I imagine.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That moment of the total unknown . . . .

Who was it who said, that;

The only thing more pleasing than the appearance of a float is its disappearance?

Whoever it was had it nailed!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
''Hugh Tempest Sheringham'', Peter, master wordsmith.

Ah, yes, of course it was, I was having a "senior moment" there . . . and being too lazy to google . . . . that's what happens when I don't get my coffee early enough LOL

However, to my mind that line really sums up "the take" and far more so than say the first movements of the quiver tip or the buzzing from the bite alarms . . . .

B

binka

Of all the different methods it has to be the sight of a float sailing away for me, especially if it's been preceded by a few tell tale dips 'n bobs that get the heart racing and prolong the whole experience.

Add a few tench bubbles very close by and it's pacemaker time! :)

thecrow

Reaction score
The indicator rising or dropping off or the float going when pike fishing has always been the most exciting for me (why do you rarely see a pike float disappear?) do they wait until you look away?) along with the line peeling off and the knowledge that there is a wild creature at the other end doing it.

flightliner

Reaction score
The indicator rising or dropping off or the float going when pike fishing has always been the most exciting for me (why do you rarely see a pike float disappear?) do they wait until you look away?) along with the line peeling off and the knowledge that there is a wild creature at the other end doing it.
And the moment when trotting a float well downstream for Barbel and its approaching the "hot spot" and suddenly theres a hole in the water where it had been a nanosecond earlier.

thecrow

Reaction score
I really wish that I could do that, trouble is with the way my right hand shakes I would be holding it back about every 12 inches :D

I think takes from different species can cause different reactions, when feeder fishing for Barbel its usually panic when the rod goes over.

mikench

Reaction score
It has to be the float! Whilst I waxed a little lyrical about a full blown flick of the quiver tip, it is the float which enthrals,starting its merry dance upon the water whilst you think ,will it won't it, and then it starts to move across the water and like a periscope it disappears beneath the surface.

That is fishing to me! The bigger the float tip the better even though that may not amount to clever tactics!

peterjg

Reaction score
For me it is when I am trotting hemp, usually missing bites, striking into nothing, then sometimes the float dips again, I strike and then the line tightens and there is a thud on the rod top and a half decent roach is caught. Surely trotting hemp with a centrepin cannot be bettered?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Does anyone else sometimes concentrate on a float so hard that when it does go under, you forget just for a moment what it is that you're meant to do?

So there's a blank hole in time - of maybe a second or two - where you just look at that empty piece of water where your float used to be.

And sometimes - the worst of times - that moment when your brain starts to work again and instructs the hand to strike (hard as you can! it must be massive to have made the float just vanish....) is the precise same time as the float re-emerges, polaris-like into view, causing your over-enthusiastic strike to send your favourite float in to a tree.

I had a similar experience last summer on the wye. Feeder fishing at relatively close range, my attention had been caught by something away from my rod tip, probably the lovely scenery or some wildlife... when I looked back at the rod, the tip was round in a 90 degree angle to the rest of the rod, and just holding there, perfectly still.... and I just looked at it. And then looked at it some more, thinking "that's odd, it didn't look like that just a second ago...." About three or four seconds later, the very tip of the rod just trembled slightly and I realised that the reason for the bend was that it was attached to a fish that had bent the rod to the very limit... a lovely 9lb barbel which I was a little fortunate to land!

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The actual "take" is sometimes better than the end result. I cannot honestly choose between a float disappearing, a bobbin that's been motionless for ages suddenly jerking into life, a tip pulling round, the "3 foot twitch" of a barbel or the line tightening when I'm drifting a buzzer across the breeze. Whatever I'm doing THAT is the "best" sort of take....until I'm doing something else.

That said....having the rod nearly pulled out of your hands by a sea trout at night when you cannot see a thing and without any prior warning takes a bit of beating. Quite terrifying in a way....and very,very exciting.

bracket

Reaction score
When I was younger I spent a lot of time match fishing on the River Welland's Four Mile Bar. I nearly always waggler fished down the middle for the roach and skimmers. Most times there would be a downgate wind on the river, producing rollers like the North Sea. The buzz was that as the float trotted downstream, cutting through the rollers, the pattern went like this: Now you see it, now you don't, now you see it, now you don't, now you don't. (that's a bite). I would be like a coiled spring all the match, terrific stuff. Din't need no rockin' to get to sleep after a session on the Welland. Pete.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yes when the float ever so slowly dips below the surface you strike not a lot happens then it's like it suddenly wakes up hang on i felt that i'm off outta here and you are left hanging on wondering what up have found is that a U Boat or what ..

PG ...

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
For me it has to be the float fished deadbait, the moment when a pike picks up the baits, those tell tale rings around the float as the Pike investigates the deadbait.

The slow moving of the float as it inches across the surface of the water and then finally the float goes and you click in the bale arm and the line tightens up the rod tip.

A firm strike and the realisation that you have hooked a monster, but nothing compare to the first moments when a pike is testing the bait, those rings around the float do it for me.

Bob

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a little biased to float fishing and seeing the float do it's dissapearing act but.....when winding in a lure and you get a hit out of the blue is quite exciting!
Fishing a floating bait sittiing amongst a bunch of freebies and the anticipation of yours being sucked in next is another exciting feeling.
Imo, all the various methods of angling have their own special little something that gives us a buzz.

robtherake

Reaction score
When the float disappears and the answering strike sees everything go solid straight away 'cause it's a whopper!