front or rear drag

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Some of this comes down to the quality of the drag concerned...

I tend to find that even on relatively cheap front drag reals, the drag will perform well. I have three okuma interceptors that bear this out.

The only rear drag reel I use is a shimano stradic (2500) for light float fishing, and I have to say the drag on that is excellent. I do use the fighting drag a fair bit as well.

Of course, the most important thing to learn - and the one I'm still trying to absorb after 30+ years of fishing - is that the time to adjust the clutch properly is BEFORE you hook a decent fish :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Years ago front drags were IMO definitely much better - these days it's just down to personal preference as I don't believe that, on a decent reel, one is better than the other. Apart from removing the spool quickly as mentioned above.............

ugg

Reaction score
I much prefer the shimano fighting drag rear I have four with this on and have never wanted to change to any other.

steve2

Reaction score
My first fixed spools, Mitchell 300 were all front drag which did or didn't want to work. I then switched over to Shimano, which were rear drag. Now back on front drag Diawa’s which I prefer.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Front drag reels at a given price point will tend to have a marginally smoother clutch than the equivalent rear drag reel. I still tend to prefer the location of a rear drag knob as I have a nasty tendency to fiddle during a protracted fight.
I have rather unusual reels that have front drag, rear drag and fightin' drag fitted. I got the cake and ate it.;):D

robtherake

Reaction score
As I've said before, a rear-drag reel will generally (all mine do) have a rearward balance and I find them better for float rods because they move the balance point backwards and this makes them more comfortable to hold for long periods: an important consideration if your grip has been weakened, as mine has. I don't mind using a front-drag reel on shorter float rods, since they're usually more neutrally balanced in the first instance. The front-drags are perceptibly smoother, with less start-up inertia, but that isn't always the only consideration.

I struck lucky with my spessy reels - Wychwood Solace 10s - as, despite being front-drag, they're long-bodied, which means they balance the rods I use for floater fishing really well: it's like an outsize float fishing set-up. Just the job.:)

All things being equal, if I didn't have the hand issue all my reels would be front-drag, just for the improvement in clutch quality. That said, I don't have any rear-drag reels that are less than 10 years old, so maybe standards have improved in the meantime and I'd be pleasantly surprised by the clutches on the latest examples.

B

binka

Front drag for me.

The 2503 TDX's have a very neat quick release, push button spool release that retains the drag setting so there's no need to re-adjust when changing spools.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I am fishing for species up to around 4lb or 5lb-ish using lines up to around 4lb-ish max then I prefer a slightly more sensitive front drag which I can pre-set before I start fishing.

However once I start fishing for heavier and more powerful fish I often find myself adjusting the drag several times during a long fight depending on where the fish is and how much fight I think it has left; and I find a rear drag is much more convenient for this.

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I have recently just purchased a shimano front drag reel.
In my local tackle shop I looked and rear and front drag reels TBH I don't think there is any difference they all worked super smooth.
I picked the front drag because the reel was more compact.

Last edited:

mightyboosh

Reaction score
You hardly ever see rear drag reels in this part of the world. There is a belief that front drags are smoother and easier to make water resistant.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have recently just purchased a shimano front drag reel.
In my local tackle shop I looked and rear and front drag reels TBH I don't think there is any difference they all worked super smooth.
I picked the front drag because the reel was more compact.

What did you go for trotter ?

greenie62

Reaction score
Front Drag v. Rear Drag - :eek:mg: - Why bother when you can always Backwind! :eek:mg::eek:

rayner

Reaction score
When I fished back in the day I always used to tighten the clutch and back wind, especially with .06 .08 hook links.
Now I fish off the clutch, when using 0.14 my usual feeder hook link with method, even 0.12 for popped up baits in winter the clutch is invaluable.
Without the clutch most fish would be lost, even more so at the net.
For feeder fishing I prefer a rear clutch for the only reason that it's easier to constantly loosen and tighten whilst playing fish.
I'm forced to fish with a loose clutch because I have no confidence in heavy line for hook links. Heavy hook links are good when playing fish but you need to hook them first.
That's not saying I never use a stronger hook link but some days Carp especially are suicidal and I'm sure enjoy being hooked.
I generally catch fish with a big grin on their little faces :D

trotter2

Reaction score
What did you go for trotter ?

Yes Mate I bought an Exage in the 2500 size.
It just felt the right size on the rod and more importantly I could reach the spool with me finger no problem.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes Mate I bought an Exage in the 2500 size.
It just felt the right size on the rod and more importantly I could reach the spool with me finger no problem.

Good choice trotter, nice little reels at a decent priece.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Rear drag is so much easier to pop the spool off if/when line gets round the back

The Diawa TDX is front drag with a quick release spool, only used it twice, first time it developed an internal problem which felt like bearings so it was replaced. Second outing was restricted to six casts before the rain became a deluge and the thunder and lightning started so I packed in. Hopefully I'll know more after Sunday

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

The 2503 TDX's have a very neat quick release, push button spool release that retains the drag setting so there's no need to re-adjust when changing spools.

Sorry Binka, I missed your post