Float fishing: how light do you go?

robtherake

Reaction score
Back in the day it seemed necessary - for general float fishing - to fine down to a hooklength of two pounds or less in order to get plenty of bites. I don't think that the diameter mattered too much; it was the suppleness of the finer nylon that made the difference.

Fast forward forty years or so and I rarely feel the need to go lighter than four pounds and my go-to general purpose mono for traces is Gamakatsu G-Line in 6lb test (0.18mm,) which is supple enough for all but the most delicate fishing. More to the point, it's as thin as the 3lb Maxima I used to use on the reel. Considering that the likelihood of making bags of large fish (ie carp) is greater than it used to be, along with the extra wear and tear it entails, it's probably sensible to go a little higher anyway. How low do you go in a similar stillwater situation, (assuming it's relatively snag-free, for the sake of argument.)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use 5lb as my general line strength. Its a bit strong for smaller fish and undoubtedly means fewer bites but on the other hand handles any big fish I may catch and snags as well. I have landed 15lb carp on it but been broken a few times on larger fish; but carp are rare in the rivers I mainly fish now but I use the same for still water unless deliberately going for carp. I could add lighter line but I don't bother, probably just lazy but I don't worry about the fewer bites, more I like to know I am gunned enough for the river where anything may turn up and throws up the odd surprise. I would hate to accidentally hook a 3lb+ roach and lose it because I had faffed about with a 1lb bottom.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I don't have a ' general ' line for any of my fishing and as I've just said on another thread I always fish to the conditions in front of me, not to mention the bait I intend using. I really would not want to use a very heavy main line with a very light hook length if I'm fishing (say ) hemp up in the water, so it such a situation I would go for 2,5lb reel line with 1,5 /2lb hook length ( or even lighter if necessary ) and this only if I'm fishing reasonably ' clear ' water. I would match this set up with a Drennan Ultralight of the required length.....Other situations, such as fishing for tench close to pads would require a totally different approach and totally different tackle ( IMHO ) so as an example I wouldn't use the same roach tackle, and just pop a couple of maggots on the end in the hope I would hook said tench !

I'm fortunate to have enough tackle to do this (which others may not have ) so I can well see having a ' go to ' 5lb reel line serves to get the job done is also fine...........I make no excuse for the fact that I'm probably over fussy about how I fish and yes, I love to keep the tackle as minimal as possible !
I ( personally ) cannot relate words such as ' just lazy ' and ' don't worry about fewer bites ' to my fishing, BUT that is how I've always fished - so ' near enough is good enough ' is a step too far for me, I'm afraid.................

It is questionable if this outlook catches me more fish, though...........adda smilie here !!

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the day it seemed necessary - for general float fishing - to fine down to a hooklength of two pounds or less in order to get plenty of bites

I would argue that when fishing for a lot of smaller fish then it is still necessary to fine down accordingly, otherwise you can spend a lot of wasted time at the water.

For nearly all of my Roach, Dace and Rudd fishing I use Drennan floatfish in 2lb B/B or 2.6lb B/S with a hook length about a pound lighter than that. I fish with a 13' spliced tip stick float rod which has a great action and is more than capable of landing the occasional "monster" Chub.
In fact a few years ago, fishing a match on Clattercote, I was using that exact set-up for the "silver fish" when I hooked and landed a Carp that went a few ounces short of 10lbs.

The "power" to land larger fish on relatively very fine lines is far more to do with the action of the rod and having a correctly set clutch on the reel.

That said, if and when deliberately targeting the large Hampshire Avon Chub for the odd Barbel, then I use a Carbotec No3 float rod with 6lb B/S main line and a 4lb B/S hook length and to date I have never really has any problems.
Again, it is more to do with the action of the rod and the clutch setting on your reel.

This is just my way, albeit one born from many years of experience, and no doubt others will argue differently.

mikench

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I use 4 to 5 lb main line and if I am using pre prepared hook lengths then a 3lb one. If I make my own( don't laugh) I use 3.6? Lb supplex hook length. I am still experimenting!

I am hoping my middy rod will be in next week so will try some pellet waggling on a decent sized lake. I may go to 6lb main line and 4 or 5lb hook length .

sam vimes

Reaction score
Horses for courses. It depends on the venue, target species, size of the fish and the rod I intend to use. I don't feel the need to have mainlines less than 4lb. I generally have 4 to 6lb on my float reels. I don't often use hook links less than 2lb, but occasionally go as low as 1lb. It's many, many years since I felt the need to use 8 or 12oz bottoms. Better quality and finer diameter mono means that I no longer feel that there's any need.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I virtually always use 4lb or 6lb mainline and prefer to fish straight through if the fish are willing. I do have a couple of spools of low diameter line in my pockets (plus a few mde up bottoms in a pouch) ready to add a hooklength if need be. I use silstar match or prestons power in lower diameters than my mainline but the "so called breaking strains" are never usually much lower than my mainlines (they're often the same b/s) and rarely below 3lb. Obviously if I were to fish for a specific species that was finicky then I would adjust my set up to suit.
Personally I can't see the point in using a lower breaking strain mainline than 4lb, even if using low breaking strain bottoms as a 4lb mainline with plenty stretch "such as sensor" combined with the right rod will give a excellent buffer for all but the lowest of hooklengths....jmo :).

trotter2

Reaction score
My general purpose line would be 4lb in maxima I use lighter hook lengths in stroft or preston thats for river fishing.

For stick float fishing bayer 3lb on the reel and lighter hook lengths

6lb for big chub on the bomb or feeder straight through.

rayner

Reaction score
Pellet waggler would be 4lb Maxima with a 0.14 hook link, the only other float fishing I do using rod and line is when I fish the stick puller, 3lb Maxima to a 0.10 or 0.12 hook link depending on fish sizes
Pole fishing for silvers is always 2lb Genesis with 0.10 hook link.
Hook links are always Trabuco fluro diamond.
One thing I have done for years is to store all my lines in my bait fridge, this generally causes hilarity with friends but I reckon they just don't know.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
'Normal' floatfishing on stillwater or river - 2lb line, possibly 2.5lb (about 0.13 diameter) with hooklinks of from 0.08 to 0.12. On the waters I fish that stuff lands carp to double figures in winter. Occasionally I use 1.5lb main line for roach with the 0.08. Fishing fine makes a big difference to presentation as far as I am concerned. There are some waters where I'll step up to 4 or 5lb line with a rod to match.

In the old days 0.08 was 12oz, 0.10 was 1.1, 0.12 was 1.7 but with high-tech the strength has increased.

john step

Reaction score
My normal line is 4lb sensor 4.7 Reflo as a hooklink.
If specifically roaching I go 2lb to 1.7 hooklink.

Nowadays when tenching I go 8 or 6 sensor with a Drennan sinklink braid which is as fine and supple and gives good presentation on the float. So good that I often pick up lumpy roach and rudd whilst tenching.

In weedy places tenching I use a Kryston supple green braid hooklink.
( the name escapes me but as its storming outside I won't go to look)
It blends in like a strand of weed. Just a confidence thing.
I have 8 and 15 in this.

JUST BEEN OUT TODAY TO LOOK AT TACKLE. THE HOOKLINK MATERIAL IS CALLED MERLIN.

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
for stick float work i use preston reflo straight through at 2LB 10 oz-i don't see much point using a lighter hook length as the is will break below whatever strain that is (due to the presence of the knot) modern lines a a good deal stronger and more supple at a given diameter than they were which is why i choose that set up-it also puts me in with a shout if a bonus chub/barbel turns up.

robtherake

Reaction score
My normal line is 4lb sensor 4.7 Reflo as a hooklink.
If specifically roaching I go 2lb to 1.7 hooklink.

Nowadays when tenching I go 8 or 6 sensor with a Drennan sinklink braid which is as fine and supple and gives good presentation on the float. So good that I often pick up lumpy roach and rudd whilst tenching.

In weedy places tenching I use a Kryston supple green braid hooklink.
( the name escapes me but as its storming outside I won't go to look)
It blends in like a strand of weed. Just a confidence thing.
I have 8 and 15 in this.

This is something I've never mentioned before, John (at least, I don't think so) and it's something I used to do when I was fishing for lumps where the water's coloured, figuring that it's more supple than mono and probably no more visible in the murky water. I remember walking in the tackle shop and seeing the Drennan braids in 8, 10 and 12lb - way thinner than I'd seen before - and the little ideas light bulb went on in my head. Walker always said that the problem with mono is its stiffness, as fish are used to encountering filamentous strands on a regular basis, but these strands are of softer, organic origin. Surely, I thought, they're less likely to be spooked by the more supple braid. I'm still not sure whether it bought me more bites, but the braid hooklinks were seriously hardwearing compared to the mono.

B

binka

I cut my teeth as a young teenager on the Trent in the early eighties where 1.7lb bottoms to 2.6 mainline were the norm for the float and 4lb was your feeder mainline.

Since things changed I used to make the mistake, generally, of fishing over fine all too often including on stillwaters.

These days I feel I’ve wised up a bit and concentrate more on the presentation than diameters and it works for me, I like fishing fine as I feel it adds something sporting but all things relative and within the bounds of responsibility.

It's surprising what you can get away with when you get fish feeding confidently and there's no point hooking a fish on tackle that is unlikely to bring it in although I accept that this often happens unintendedly.

Today I’ve been fishing a homemade 16” 7SSG straight waggler to beat the drift for some large, long range gravel pit fish and I used 8lb mainline to 6.12 bottom.

All things relative.

robtherake

Reaction score
I cut my teeth as a young teenager on the Trent in the early eighties where 1.7lb bottoms to 2.6 mainline were the norm for the float and 4lb was your feeder mainline.

Since things changed I used to make the mistake, generally, of fishing over fine all too often including on stillwaters.

These days I feel I’ve wised up a bit and concentrate more on the presentation than diameters and it works for me, I like fishing fine as I feel it adds something sporting but all things relative and within the bounds of responsibility.

It's surprising what you can get away with when you get fish feeding confidently and there's no point hooking a fish on tackle that is unlikely to bring it in although I accept that this often happens unintendedly.

Today I’ve been fishing a homemade 16” 7SSG straight waggler to beat the drift for some large, long range gravel pit fish and I used 8lb mainline to 6.12 bottom.

All things relative.

That's what I'm getting at, Steve, and more often than not I'll begin this heavy, only fining-down if it's really necessary. That 8lb/6lb combination - diameter and suppleness-wise - is no different to, say, the 4lb/3lb combination of the 80s, and I caught plenty of fish back then. In my mind, it's prudent to fish as heavy (within obvious limits) as the situation allows - there's nothing sporting about leaving hooks in fish. Of course, when you're as cack-handed as me then you need all the help you can get.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Totally agree that just about sums it up Rob only fish lighter when you have too.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
General river trotting 5.5 mainline to 5lb bottom.

General lakes / coms 6.6 straight through.

Clear water river. Fining down to 3lb bottom

robtherake

Reaction score

All things relative.

When you're using a heavy mainline it's pretty pointless trying to cast with a float carrying a couple of BB. 2-3 swan (and bigger) floats have become the norm for me. Paradoxically - although others may argue that the physics say different - the big floats don't suffer from a lack of sensitivity as long as they're correctly shotted. I've been meaning to make some whopping great wagglers, Steve; what materials are you using?