Not netting

grizzlebear

Reaction score
Just been lake fishing for the first time, normally a river man. Had a cracking time but ended up very fustrated at the losses. Tell me what im doing wrong. Had 2 rods set up 1 method feeder and 10mm pop-up. The other pva with lead and 15mm boiie. Both on bait runners. So the line whizzes off and i strike and start the fight. All goes well until i get the fish on the surface to net it. As the net goes in the fish spits the hook. Happened 50% of the time. Am i not holding the rod right? Is this the norm with carp? i tried several hooks and sizes. bloody fustrating as i had an amazing first session.

john step

Reaction score
Apart from the obvious that you would have checked ...damaged hook points, Was the lake weedy on the bottom and were you getting it on the hook preventing penetration.

If so one of those nuggets of PVA licked and wrapped around the hook will keep the point free of debris as it settles.

B

binka

The fact that it's happening with both your method and lead rigs makes me think that your rods aren't forgiving enough when you really need them to be at those critical moments near the net.

What are you using?

It can be countered a bit with an overly slack clutch.

grizzlebear

Reaction score
drennan puddlechucker 12ft and my wychwood. both on wychwood bait runners. not a bit of weed it there. the hooks look fine when i inspect them. Is it im over eager to get them to the surface?

B

binka

It could just be one of those days.

I've had a few on the method feeder where I seem to lose too many at the net which I put down to the feeder bouncing too close to the fish on those short hooklinks which might just allow slack when the fish is shaking it's head.

It doesn't account for your lead rig though... Unless the same is happening although I'm thinking it's a fixed lead on a safe system?

I think I would be inclined to soften the clutch and move up a hook size and see if that cures it without doing anything too drastic.

grizzlebear

Reaction score
I did struggle a bit with the net, never took my long pole. I am thinking i dipped the rod as i netted. Yes the lead rod was on a safety. The feeder had a slightly shorter hook length than i would normally use.

Think i will have to remember the long pole and move up a hook. i honestly dont think i expected quite the hike & robustness in gear needed between river and carp. I will slightly soften the clutch

Cant wait to get back for another go!

lee_j

Reaction score
Tweak your rigs pal see if that helps , try a bit of shrink tube over the eye as a kicker like this blokes done >> https://youtu.be/NkCU7Fjc--c

Sounds like you might be bullying them at the net though mate , you can't give them as much stick as a barbel the mouths are softer.

grizzlebear

Reaction score
yes i agree i was very eager at the net because i was on a short pole near a reedbed. Hope the long pole will help that. I just enjoyed it so much i want to get better at it and am probably rushing.

Any links to a good hook would be great and size indication.
the swim im on is about 8ft deep with mainly common carp 6/10lb although there were a pair of grass carp patrolling the swim just under the surface 15lb+ . ATM im in a 14hook 10lb trace.

Thanks for the help guys

lee_j

Reaction score
I'd go size 10 minimum myself pal but probably an 8 as for patterns it's everyone to their own I've been on ace curve shanks and fox arma point the past couple of years and had no problems but others might disagree asp raptors are alright too in my opinion , I always go for wide gape or curve shank never had problems so don't really change much, hope this helps .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Can't see if you are on barbed or barbless?

If barbless I suggest you are dropping the rod when you put the net out.