''Barbel revisited''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For the first time in what seems an age, I'll be opening the season with Barbel on a Yorkshire river due to the urging of an old mate, and I'm already fired up.

We spent most of yesterday discussing a particular stretch and in particular several swims that would suit me fine with no long walks involved, due to the courtesy of the landowner whose property abutts the river. My mates results over the last couple of seasons adding to my enthusiasm. Plus, joy of joys our old methods, ''Baits and presentation'' are just as effective as they were back in the mid to late sixties, but the average weight of fish are significently ''bigger'',in short I'm well fired up.''The Pike will have to wait'', as will I for the opening. Time to dust off the tackle.

It's an odds on bet that many of you guys will be doing the same, but maybe not for Barbel. Here's to bent rods.

thecrow

Reaction score
Best of luck for the opening Derek, the old methods and bait will always be just as good as any new ones and may even be better having been neglected for more modern ones, I sometimes think we overcomplicate things, hope you catch a good un but most of all enjoy it.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For the first time in what seems an age, I'll be opening the season with Barbel on a Yorkshire river due to the urging of an old mate, and I'm already fired up.

We spent most of yesterday discussing a particular stretch and in particular several swims that would suit me fine with no long walks involved, due to the courtesy of the landowner whose property abutts the river. My mates results over the last couple of seasons adding to my enthusiasm. Plus, joy of joys our old methods, ''Baits and presentation'' are just as effective as they were back in the mid to late sixties, but the average weight of fish are significently ''bigger'',in short I'm well fired up.''The Pike will have to wait'', as will I for the opening. Time to dust off the tackle.

It's an odds on bet that many of you guys will be doing the same, but maybe not for Barbel. Here's to bent rods.

Hi is your old ate "The Hat"

mikench

Reaction score
Have a succesfull trip. I doubt I will get to go fishing this week what with the weather, the car due for a service ( and not available for my gear), parental duties and gardening!:(

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

Good luck with the Barbel trip, the old methods work just as well for the species !!

Bob