Weed (the water not the recreational sort)

john step

Reaction score
This spring /early summer has been very strange in these parts. On my syndi reservoir there just doesn't seem to be much at all this year. Very little in fact.

Normally by now the weed rakes are a must to get a safe place to fish for the tench. The tench are hard to find now as there appears no holding areas. Just wandering about I feel.

The roach and rudd seem to be in fine fettle but I do wonder with hardly any weed if there will be much food about later on.

Also we get the odd black death and there are few hiding places.

Any one else found lack of weed this year?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
John,

One water near me has more weed this year than any other year i have known. Yet on another water, the weed is very thin around the pit and the rake isn't needed. Hasn't made it any easier to catch the fish.

The lake with more weed is fishing its head off, so it makes you wonder just how important weed is to our waters.

robtherake

Reaction score
Related, perhaps? The standard summer crops in my garden (French beans, sweetcorn, squashes) are very slow off the mark. Not enough sun and a generally cool temperature for the time of year has held them up. Yesterday was reasonably sunny and it was almost possible to see the plants growing; the broad beans have grown 6 inches in 24 hours and the sweetcorn and squash plants have finally started to make some progress with the leaves looking far less anaemic.:) It would follow that the usual summer weeds are lagging behind for the same reason in areas that haven't seen much sun.

john step

Reaction score
John,

One water near me has more weed this year than any other year i have known. Yet on another water, the weed is very thin around the pit and the rake isn't needed. Hasn't made it any easier to catch the fish.

The lake with more weed is fishing its head off, so it makes you wonder just how important weed is to our waters.

Very important I feel. I shan't curse it anymore when it does appear.