The state of carp themselves.

dicky123

Reaction score
I've only just started to fish commercial waters, and to be honest I'm having a blast, catching well each trip and putting a big smile on my face. But!

One very well known place (my first visit) I fished this week. Every fish (carp) had really awful mouth problems, with gaping sores, and ripped lips. As well as missing scales and infections on the sides. I know some is post spawning damage. But with all of these places insisting on barbless hooks and small hooks, what is causing such damage to these fish?

I'm sure it's something we should be talking about, does anyone else agree?

I can honestly say I always use a mat, and try to release the carp in the net if small. Rarely have I had a problem, I also carry a fish medicine for sores. Is this not common practice?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm sure it's something we should be talking about, does anyone else agree?

It has been talked about rather a lot. Opinions are rather divided on the topic. An awful lot blame overly heavy gear. Some blame inept anglers, inept playing and inept handling/unhooking. Repeatedly being caught on a very regular basis is bound to a significant factor. Some folks actually blame the very barbless hooks that most intuatively feel must cause less damage.

I also carry a fish medicine for sores. Is this not common practice?

Only amongst the more serious of the buzzer and bivvy brigade. I've rarely encountered a non-carper that carries an antiseptic intended for treating fish.

dicky123

Reaction score
Sam, I'm from that background myself old school carp fishing.

I spoke to a fishery owner in an attempt to clarify what his views were. He strongly critisised the Match speed style of fishing. But they were is bread and butter. I know this is a broad drush comment, and it's just his opinion.

Are the match community happy to talk about it, without getting upset?

We really all need to get behind something that will help these fish we enjoy catching so much.

Richard.

steve2

Reaction score
Fish of whatever species are always damaged in someway when we catch them. It is part of angling and always will be unless we stop fishing.
As far as carrying antiseptic cream if it makes you feel better using it use on every fish you catch not just carp. Surely even that small roach should be treated the same as that carp.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am far form the authority on this one and just reiterating what I have read. Most seem to blame it on the fact that barb-less hooks can move about a lot in the fish's mouth when being played whereas a barb stopped this. I believe micro barbed hooks improve the situation so maybe if your fishery allows them this may help.

Apologies if any of that is wrong to the more knowledgeable on the matter.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As Sam states, this topic has been covered rather a lot and I don’t want to add any more opinions to the mix. I would like to add an observation though. During my many years at RMC/CEMEX the barbed only rule applied to all hooks larger than a ‘14’. At all other clubs I have been a member a barbless only rule applied. I don’t remember seeing carp with mouth damage at any of these waters which were mainly gravel pits with quite low fish stocks. Therefore I'm inclined to believe that in most instances the problem isn't usually a direct result from the actual hook that is used although i do favour barbed/micro barbed where permitted.