Should angling be an olympic sport.

flightliner

Reaction score
Seeme like lots of sports are being included these days, angling used to be one of them back in the early years, should it be re-introduced?.

robtherake

Reaction score
Why not? We already have an annual international competition, so it's not unfeasible. I'd even turn the telly on to watch that.:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think so, in reality there's to much luck involved in angling. You could have far better angling skills than someone else and yet the fish infront of you might not be feeding, so your medal chances would be fekced even though your the better angler.

steve2

Reaction score
Angling is not a sport and depends too much on the luck of the draw. No way should it ever be part of the olympics.

john step

Reaction score
A Scottish friend once said to me "Fishing is a sport, the other things are GAMES"

Whilst I chuckled at his insight I hope fishing would never be considered for the Olympics.
I find it difficult to properly word my concerns but lets just fight our corner over things like pollution, abstraction etc and not bring that much close scrutiny.

It wouldn't be like Mr Crabtree would it. More Robson Green on Steroids.
With Peta etc ready to whip up trouble.

B

binka

I sometimes feel like I've done an Olympic sport by the time I get to some far off swims, whilst I'm all for increasing coverage of our beloved pastime I think it is just that.

A pleasurable pastime.

flightliner

Reaction score
I sometimes feel like I've done an Olympic sport by the time I get to some far off swims, whilst I'm all for increasing coverage of our beloved pastime I think it is just that.

A pleasurable pastime.
Maybe one thats "peripheral" to angling, maybe one similar to what you describe Steve, or as I endured on opening day, a three venue trip that included loading and unloading the car with gear, walking a fair distace twice out of three all in untrodden vegetation that had to be cleared on two venues. Maybe it could be called Exhaustineering :eek:mg:

trotter2

Reaction score
It would be difficult one fishing match would not really prove who is the best team or best individual angler .
In some respects it would only show who was more lucky at the draw.

It would have to be numerous matches over weeks of angling not easy to organise and set up.

Chefster

Reaction score
Why shouldnt it,there is a world championship for angling,and the cream always comes to the top,its not all about the drawbag,and its not all about luck,there as much skill in it,as any other sport....lets face i were not talking about the sort of fishing a lot of you do,just chucking out a bait and sitting with your feet up...its about anglers who are at the top of their game,months of research and practice,at the venue,and anglers that are totally dedicated to the sport;)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Why shouldnt it,there is a world championship for angling,and the cream always comes to the top,its not all about the drawbag,and its not all about luck,there as much skill in it,as any other sport....lets face i were not talking about the sort of fishing a lot of you do,just chucking out a bait and sitting with your feet up...its about anglers who are at the top of their game,months of research and practice,at the venue,and anglers that are totally dedicated to the sport;)

It makes no difference if they are the cream at the top. If the fish dont want to feed, they wont. You could be the World Champion in the best peg, it means nothing if the fish dont want to play ball.

What about the venue ? the fish stock ??. If it was a water made just for the olympics, what would happen to it after the games and the fish stock.

It would be like watching fish O'mania all over, and that is boring. Any water would have good and bad pegs as all waters do, that wouldnt be fair. Bit like the Russians taking their drugs and winning.

Chefster

Reaction score
It makes no difference if they are the cream at the top. If the fish dont want to feed, they wont. You could be the World Champion in the best peg, it means nothing if the fish dont want to play ball.

What about the venue ? the fish stock ??. If it was a water made just for the olympics, what would happen to it after the games and the fish stock.

It would be like watching fish O'mania all over, and that is boring. Any water would have good and bad pegs as all waters do, that wouldnt be fair. Bit like the Russians taking their drugs and winning.
What about the world championships then???,how come the best anglers/teams always come out on top over 2 days??...anyway,a lot of the normal olympic sports,are boring to watch,probably most of them actually....and ok, then going back to fisho,which Jamie Hughes won,would you say there was a better angler there than him,i wouldnt;)

flightliner

Reaction score
I think the last time it was included was around 1904/6 ish in Paris on the river seine, If it was re introduced any local football ground could be dug up and filled with water and fish. Plenty of seating for the spectators then.
Afterwards the water could be drained off and the hole backfilled.
just a thought but if the fish introduced for the event were likened to the medels, eg, golden rudd, silver bream and bronze bream I can think of someone at least who would disqualify himself if he didnt get first place.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score

A pleasurable pastime.

Got me thinking that Bink-
A race to a swim with a sackful of gear on your back
Who can free themselves from barbed wire the quickest
Who can hit a tree the most often
Who can dodge a bailiff the longest (I know who would win that one:))
Who can break the most gear in 15 minutes (I know who would win that one as well:))
Who can tempt the most ducks into a given area in an hour
Who can hit a canoe at a 100 yards with a catapult the most times

Must be room for all sorts of Olympic tests.

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Too much fancy kit like cycling or shooting. Need to get back to basics. Dump the contestants on a desert island armed with just a with a pen knife and a pint of casters. Those who can whittle down a rod from bamboo and make floats that work would catch the most fish and win a medal.