"Classic Fishing"

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Browsing a fly fishing thread a little while ago I noticed that they have a section for "Classic Coarse Fishing".

This of course means cane or greenheart rods, ancient wooden starback centre pin reels, quill floats and even baits such as bullock's brains and pith, not forgetting the greaves or scratchings and thousands of lobs for the barbel.

And let us not forget the dress -Norfolk jackets, breeks, deerstalkers and even straw boaters when you are out after gudgeon. Why we could even even have a Waltonian section where we use horsehair and dress up in 17th century costume. All this would suit Peter Jacobs of course, I can see him now in tunic and large tapering hat with his long willow cut from the hedgerow, andregaling the milkmaids.

The Monk wouldn't have to organise any special clothes as he has them already, his habit of course.

And what a sight it would be with a couple of his Ruffe Slappers dressed in milking smocks or lambing gowns!!

If other websites have made classic angling successful, what about this one?

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

A brilliant idea Ron.

One rod on rivers, no bite alarms etc. Yes let's have an "Old School Angling" section.

Philip

Reaction score
Why not !....but who gets to decide what gets in a classicsection ?

...after all wasnt even your old mate Walker using electronic bite alarms 50+ years ago?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Marry, 'tis a match godde scholar.

Now taketh thy anglyng rodde whytch is maken fromme a ftraight length of willow that furely shallst not breaketh whyence a noble troutte pulleth. Tyeth a leyngthe of fylke made from the fynestte fylke worms and wyche hath the hooke tyedde to the ander end. Now goeth unto the lea weareft thou fhallft procureth a dozyn graffhoppersand keepeth thefe in a pretty box.

Faften the graffhopper to the hooke and then ftand verily near the bank with the wynde at thy backke. Then falst the hopper be takeneft by the wynde out into the ftream weareft the noble troutte fhalft taketh the bait and be well caughtte.

Aynde note that the fyffhe thuf caught wylle only be godde for Anglers and very honeft men.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

You could be onto a winner with this one Ron.

A rod and line caught specimen or otherwise must have higher merrits than a specimen caught by bait boat and bite alarms.

Let's hope this gets off the ground.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
To be serious, howabout vintage/classic tackle reviews? To save people from, for example, paying over the odds for a "Super Wizard" as against the standard (better, imho) version.

The bad one

Reaction score
To save time and the inevitable drivel Ron will inflict on all of you if youencourage him further, just download the book TheComplete Angler by Izak Walton on to the site, it's out of copyright, and have done with it.

As usual you're writing sh**e Ron.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

What we need in this section is ordinary everyday blokes, going fishing with basic equipment. What we don't need is (present company accepted) is I've got a Phd, I was an engineer type sh..e in it. And no suckholers.

S

Sean Meeghan

So an article from me on the fibrous morphology of greeheart is out of the question then?

S

Sean Meeghan

I'll write it in my tweed jacket smoking a meerschaum if you like

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Surely there is a vast difference between 'classic' and 'archaic'. Using 'classic' tackle can be as good as the latest gear and is often more fun but 'archaic' gear is nonsense. My gear last Saturday could be considered 'classic'; a superb Normark rod, a Mitchell Match, Maxima line and a crowquill Avon.All well proven and a delight to use.

B

Bully

I found my old Mitchell Match in my mums loft recently. Last used before I went to Uni in 1979......and it still spun round perfectly!

Does that mean I can contribute to the "Old Farts Section".........sorry, Classic Course Fishing.