''Is there more merit''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Let's say the capture of a large Roach from a river, as opposed to the same fish from a still water, and if so why?

For some no doubt it will be the capture whilst using their preferred method. That I can appreciate, but is there really more merit to separate the two as distinct from personal satisfaction.

Simon Vicos

Reaction score
I think its because large river Roach are far less widespread.

Look at those Roach in Linch Hill, in Oxford. Just like Crucians at Marsh Farm. Spend enough time there and you get one

You could spend a lifetime chasing a large (2lb+) River Roach and never get one. Like I have so far

sam vimes

Reaction score
The level of merit all comes down to their prevalence in the water and the part of the world concerned. Whether it's still or running water makes no real difference. In my part of the world, I've never caught a 2lb+ stillwater roach. I've had two from a river. I suspect that my slim chances of seeing another are slightly better from the local rivers.

john step

Reaction score
I'll take either. I haven't had a 2lb for goodness knows how long.
I have had two a couple of ounces under 2lb recently from stillwater. Just like the perch really...just an ounce under the 3lb.

Nice trying though.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
These days there are far more large Roach in still-waters than in our rivers, at least here in my area.

Providing you are targeting them, with appropriate tackle, then I would still consider that a river fish would be more rewarding than one from a still-water.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Is there more merit ?

I think it completely subjective, when I was young 2lb Roach were relatively easy to catch from the London Reservoirs and if you had the right tackle ( a Mk1V Avon and Mitchell 300 ) not that hard to catch on breadflake.

In fact a week or so after the Bluestoned ( Copper Sulphate ) and the weed had died off the roach were ravenous and would eat just about anything.

I also fished the River Bean and Rib for Roach, again on a Cane float rod and centrepin trotting bread you catch big Roach quite regularly.

The Reservoir or the River, legering or trotting, Cane or Glass rods, pin or fixed spool.

There were no bolt rigs or decent buzzers, you had to strike the bites rather than using self hooking rigs.

Merit, it depends on your perspective ?

Bob

rayner

Reaction score
Last time I caught a so called fish of merit, NEVER.
Any fish I have caught of any size has only been because it picked up my bait. I do target a particular species but never waste my time waiting for a specific fish regarding it's size.
That would spoil my fun, I know others think exactly the opposite. If a particular size is your thing than I can understand that but I'm just happy to be fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
Likewise! I still await a "lump" relative to species but am having fun regardless!

Now a 2lb roach would be wonderful from any venue.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
These days there are far more large roach in still-waters than in our rivers, at least here in my area.

Providing you are targeting them, with appropriate tackle, then I would still consider that a river fish would be more rewarding than one from a still-water.

I know of two local (expensive syndicate) waters that are truly stuffed with 2lb roach (fished Sway when it was day ticket - catching a 2lb roach wasn't much harder than turning up back then) but aside from those 2lb roach are scarce in the local stillwaters. Hordle Lakes (ponds in the local vernacular) has some and I had one from each of two local Dorset day ticket/club ponds last year but those were almost flukes. The Avon, Test, Itchen, Stour and Frome are all producing 2lb roach every year.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think I would give just a tad more merit to a river fish of any quality or species come to that. just that little bit harder to find, maybe just a bit more difficult to fish, maybe just a a bit more better conditioned given that river fish are hardly ever caught by anyone else these days, maybe just a little harder to land in a decent current.
On the strength of that I think I may add a few deserved ounces if I ever catch a 1.14 ounce roach from a river.! Who would know!

john step

Reaction score
I think I would give just a tad more merit to a river fish of any quality or species come to that. just that little bit harder to find, maybe just a bit more difficult to fish, maybe just a a bit more better conditioned given that river fish are hardly ever caught by anyone else these days, maybe just a little harder to land in a decent current.
On the strength of that I think I may add a few deserved ounces if I ever catch a 1.14 ounce roach from a river.! Who would know!

Sorry Mark....the most important person would know....you.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I think 'merit' depends upon the given water be it running or still. With river fishing being my preference and taking most of my time my loyalties lie there. However, over the years I have fished rivers where 2lb fish were not that uncommon and large gravel pits where it was a rarity to locate the larger roach - let alone catch them......

robtherake

Reaction score
The level of merit all comes down to their prevalence in the water and the part of the world concerned. Whether it's still or running water makes no real difference. In my part of the world, I've never caught a 2lb+ stillwater roach. I've had two from a river. I suspect that my slim chances of seeing another are slightly better from the local rivers.

PM sent, Sam. :)

robertroach

Reaction score
I have only had two 2lb+ roach (best one 3lb 4oz), both from a river. I have a feeling the big ones are not particularly hard to catch, but they are hard to locate and my catches have been more down to luck rather than good judgement.

Recently I have been catching plenty of roach up to 1lb but can't seem to locate any bigger ones. Maybe the bottom line is that there are so few of them. As has been said before, if you know they are present and if you put in the hours, and if your technique and presentation is good you will catch.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
2lb Roach from a river, that will do just fine. 2lb Roach from a still water, that would do nicely also.

If your fishing for them IMO i see no difference, other than 2lb plus river Roach being in very short supply.

My mate has had a 3lb 2oz Roach while Carp fishing, it took a 22 mm bollie. Like he said, it's a fish of a lifetime, would rather have had it on a float rod.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sorry Mark....the most important person would know....you.

Very true John, my conscience would not allow it for public consumption however, my brother who is always nicking my gear, thinks hes gods gift to angling, always exaggerates every fish he catches and tells me I am useless as an angler; that would be different. If he thought I caught a 2lb roach, he would choke for a year; some pleasures are worth a little exaggeration, conscience or not.!

Putting that aside, just came across an article where a bloke held the roach record for a river I have been fishing for 20 years and it was 2lb 10oz or something like that. I have always thought there must be a lunk lurking in there somewhere so inspired by that I think I will give it another 20 years.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I suppose there is merit to be had - or was before internet searches did it for you - in the task of tracking down waters containing big Roach because these fish are usually so elusive.

Even when a river or lake can be found there may still be difficulty tracking down the right bends, holes or features to find them. I failed in past campaigns on the upper Yare and Ivel when i lived near those rivers probably because there were so few Roach over the pound mark to be had at the time. If I had lived near the Dorset Stour or Hants Avon things may have been different.

But you cant win because when you do land on a lake or river with the target fish, and you nab a few, then it can all seem too easy!

dicky123

Reaction score
Strange, but interesting question, as a 2lb roach is a 2lb roach where ever it's caught. I think as others have said, the chance of a 2ib fish is greater now in still water, I guess. But if you've never taken a 2lb fish I doubt it mattered where you catch it.

I'm lucky having had many this size and bigger when the Wensum was in its heyday. But I've not seen a roach this size in over 30 years, sadly.

I wonder if some of the 'carp only' waters hold a secret or two. A well know carp water in Norfolk/Suffolk held some when the carp boys took them on boilies.

Good thread, and question.