Crazy baits...

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have been messing about with bait again. This time I have expanded on an idea that was mentioned to me regarding using peanut butter as a coating for pellets. I have taken it one step further, the full story can be found HERE.

pb_punch.jpg

The idea is to spread a couple of slices of bread, put them together and punch them to produce bread punch sandwiches. It works a treat and I found other uses for peanut too. I am sure it must have been done before but I thought it would be worth a try.

Ralph.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Wouldn't last 5 minutes with me. I'd eat them myself:eek:mg:
Years ago someone on here used Marmite in the same way.
I'd probably eat those too....:doh:

robtherake

Reaction score
I have been messing about with bait again. This time I have expanded on an idea that was mentioned to me regarding using peanut butter as a coating for pellets. I have taken it one step further, the full story can be found HERE.

pb_punch.jpg

The idea is to spread a couple of slices of bread, put them together and punch them to produce bread punch sandwiches. It works a treat and I found other uses for peanut too. I am sure it must have been done before but I thought it would be worth a try.

Ralph.

Have you tried salmon or crab paste in your "fish sarnies", Ralph? If you get the ratio of bread to filling right they pop up nicely, too.:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have mixed salmon and shrimp paste with flour to make a stiff paste; very effective on a commercial for carp but any eels about forget it unless your after them; they get to it straight away. Salmon Paste worked the best but shrimp excellent, not tried the crab but I imagine to be at least as effective and just spread on bread as well.
I have tried peanut butter, soaked sweetcorn in a mixture of hot water and the stuff overnight; it goes a bit mushy and I have spread bread with various things including peanut butter. However, I cannot say it was a great success generally, did not seem to improve my bite rate much.
Strawberry jam was very good for bream, both on sweetcorn and bread. They like something sweet.
A bit of Danish slice works and bread pudding, that was excellent when I tried it. Fruit, bread and spice mixture, nice smell too. I would pull a hook through a half to a 1 inch square with a baiting needle and turn it and just pull it back into the pudding. stayed on the hook pretty well, smashed one commercial with this once; tench loved it as well..
Bits of raw strawberry got me a some attention on a canal last year. Anyone tried black currents when fishing with hemp?
I have tried baked beans, a bit difficult to keep on the hook and not very good I found so at least I have something left for my dinner. damn pesky fish.

Last edited: