''What, if anything''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
In terms of knowledge, have you learned anything from FM, be that bait presentation, rigs etc. Or do you believe in the old adage,''You can't teach an old dog new tricks''

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that, over the years I have learned a lot from FM, and hopefully passed on a few tricks as well.

If you go back to some of the brilliant Mark Wintle and Dave Slater articles you can almost not fail to learn something.

Mark's series were excellent, particularly on float fishing, and Dave's Chub series, and bait articles taught me a lot.

john step

Reaction score
Learn something all the time. Too much to list . Mostly little tit bits( No silly comments Lord Paul).

One of the most interesting things learnt is that how different we can be but still all enjoy this absorbing thing called fishing.

I have learned that some of those on here have a very well defined sense of humour. Witness the comments for the photo competitions:D.
I could never match those witticisms.

Some people you agree with, some you could scream at, then lo and behold the folk you agreed with yesterday you could scream at today.

I enjoy FM. I do miss a couple of the outrageous nutters that have been banned though.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yes Derek

Take most things with a pinch of salt on the internet !!

My mate Simon King used to get heavily involved in discussion on this site, some of them really upset him ?

I use to say to him, ignore them, but he took it to heart.

Sad really that a sport loved by so many can cause so many arguments ?

Bob

rayner

Reaction score
I'm always picking up angling information, my problem if it is a problem after trying new stuff I always go back to what I know.
It's true that a lot of what I've learned or picked up may be more accurate does actually work.
The thing is I love what I have always done IE fishing for Roach or Bream with the occasional excursion for Tench.
My baits have changed more than the methods I use, catches have vastly increased but that is down to commercials rather than my skill.
Periodically through the summer I fish for Carp because they are there and I enjoy myself, the pull of smaller fish is stronger though.

As you would expect I hook a lot of bigger fish than my light lines can handle that just rag me off trashing my hook lengths, that doesn't detract me from my chosen method and a new hook length of the same strength goes back on.
I could play the fish longer in the hope of getting it out but that would ruin my swim so right or wrong I bully the fish with only one outcome.
If I'm fishing for Roach I fish for Roach.
I have been asked why I refuse to go with a stronger line I just say I'm OK with this, I know I'm thought of by a few friends as being barmy, I can live with that.
Nobody can ever convince me that lighter lines don't catch more fish, they may be smaller than some prefer but my game is keeping busy.
Light lines are no guarantee that fish will pick up the bait but I believe if a fish ignores a 20s tied to .08 or .10 they will never pick up a 16s to .14 or more.

In that respect I am definitely in the old dogs group.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’ve learned one thing – before I joined FM I thought I owned a large selection of rods and reels.....................

bracket

Reaction score
What have I learnt on FM ? Well coming from a match fishing, club fishing, pleasure fishing background on the Trent, Welland and Severn, I considered myself to be a competent angler. Since joining the Forum I quickly realised I was nowhere as good as I thought I was. I was merely proficient in a very narrow window, within the great kaleidoscope of angling. This was particularly bought home to me one day when fishing a five foot deep swim on the Frome, which to me was without a doubt, a seven number four shot stick float peg and that is what I used and caught on. I was then privileged to watch a certain angler on this forum fishing a similar swim with more lead than you can find on a church roof, and emptying it. Caused me to have a big rethink on my approach, which has always been "keep it fine and light". I enjoy the banter on the Forum and like to think I have made a few friends along the way, I have certainly picked up on many things that I did not know of or had forgotten about, and that must be good. So for me the Forum is a nice place to visit and long may it continue to be so. Pete.

dann

Reaction score
For me, tons. When I started out fishing I didn't have anybody to guide me so a lot of my info came from magazines and the Internet. FM is a great resource because you can ask questions, all very well reading about stuff but having somebody answer a direct question really helps.

john step

Reaction score
What have I learnt on FM ? Well coming from a match fishing, club fishing, pleasure fishing background on the Trent, Welland and Severn, I considered myself to be a competent angler. Since joining the Forum I quickly realised I was nowhere as good as I thought I was. I was merely proficient in a very narrow window, within the great kaleidoscope of angling. This was particularly bought home to me one day when fishing a five foot deep swim on the Frome, which to me was without a doubt, a seven number four shot stick float peg and that is what I used and caught on. I was then privileged to watch a certain angler on this forum fishing a similar swim with more lead than you can find on a church roof, and emptying it. Caused me to have a big rethink on my approach, which has always been "keep it fine and light". I enjoy the banter on the Forum and like to think I have made a few friends along the way, I have certainly picked up on many things that I did not know of or had forgotten about, and that must be good. So for me the Forum is a nice place to visit and long may it continue to be so. Pete.

Exactly my feelings on the Forum.
Interesting your trotting experience on the Trent etc with club matches.
Similar to my own history except with the Thames and Lea.

Since living in Lincs and the accessibility to previously undreamt of Trent barbel fishing...that is what I have done to the detriment (neglect) of learning to trot the lower trent for silvers and chub.
I must say the powerful flow is daunting for me . I intend to rectify it this year.
I will have a go and dig out those sticks and avons. Also need to come to terms with the idea I have seen regarding large wagglers.

The other thing to learn is how to get to grips with the expanding zander population in that river.

Lifes hard but someones got to do it.:D

thecrow

Reaction score
Apart from the angling bits and bobs that I have picked up I think the biggest thing I have learned from FM is that anglers with completely different views on some angling subjects can become friends, I believe that only within angling could this happen and it has happened through FM.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more Crow and you make an excellent point.

I'm sure due to some of my Barbel wars posts and particular unhappiness with one regular then, there was quite a bit of animosity toward me ( I'm sure and understand some of that probably carries forward)

I just hope that by joining in and sharing days with many of the regulars that has been dispelled to a degree.

I've certainly made some good pals. Mind you if you lot keep catching bigger and better fish than me it could change!!!!

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I think there is always something new to learn, I would imagine fishing like other pastimes would become pretty boring if you thought you had nothing new to learn. Like everything you read its very subjective and open to your own opinion.
But IMO Forums are good for the thinking anglers among us.

Well done to those that contribute to the enjoyment :thumbs:

mikench

Reaction score
A forum such as this provides information in a much more interesting way than say google. I may be wrong( but I doubt it) but I believe I can tell the type, manner and personality of most of the subscribers even though I do not know their name or where they live.

Just as you can judge a great writer or poet by his use of language so one can tell a " nice bloke" from his posts. So far in my fishing resurgence I have met more nice blokes than unpleasant ones. Like the guy on Friday who just gave me a great handful of casters for me to try. I had never met him before and we only exchanged a few words but I knew he was a nice bloke!:)