what do you enjoy more
A well thought out days fishing, carefully planned, bait prepared night before,

or a spontainius spur of the moment , grab some bait and go trip

I had good days and bad days doing both

but I always feel with the grab and good that I may have missed something

I do like the fully prepared days

bezzer

Reaction score
I like to plan things to the Nth degree :)

I'm off to the Severn early tomorrow and apart from picking up a couple of pints of hemp, everything is ready. I've tied rigs, mixed GB (dry), cut meat and soaked pellets.

Having said that, the Warwickshire Avon is a 1 minute walk fom my front door and I do occasionally get home from work, grab a rod and a few bits and have an hour with leftover bait.

I enjoy both but prefer the former....

rayner

Reaction score
Bit short my first reply. As I said any day is fair game.
I don't really have a plan. All my fishing is normally Pellet, meat, caster and bread. I can keep a pint of caster for 3 or 4 weeks without freezing and they look almost as fresh as the day I bought them.
The only bait I use that needs preparation is hemp.
I always have casters in my fridge and a selection of pellets from expanders to hard pellets of various sizes in my bag.
Every session starts the same, shop for a loaf then form a plan when I get to my peg.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I like to plan where I'm going to fish, what species I'm fishing for, what tackle to take , what tactics to use, what my back up plans is

but having said all that - sometimes just grabbing a rod and reel and a tin of sweet corn and some bread and going has proved enjoyable

Keith M

Reaction score
Being retired I can go fishing almost any day I want to, and at a moments notice, so I can take advantage of favourable weather and water conditions, and so very few of my trips will be planned beforehand, and that's how I like it.

I always have some baits in my bait-fridge and some boilees in the freezer and my rods are already packed into their rod-sleeves and ready to go, so all I need to do is take my bait out of the fridge and choose the rod or rods I'm going to use then pack a snack and I'm away.

Nowerdays the only pre-planned fishing trip that I'm likely to go on is the very occasional club match.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
How do you keep caster that long? A chap I had never met before at a lake on my club's card gave me a couple of handfuls of casters yesterday and suggested I try them. Caught about 30 small roach almost on the drop and each cast. Missed loads of bites too.

I liked casters and with a sharp hook I only really squashed a few!

B

binka

Most of my sessions are pre-planned with some sort of battle plan in mind but in terms of actual enjoyment I couldn't split a hair between the two, I really like those spontaneous sessions as well.

I've spent many an evening preparing bait and kit for the following day only to take a complete different set of kit for something else for no other reason than that's the mood I was in when I woke up on the day and simply fancied doing something else.

Go with the flow :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I enjoy the planning of trips, just as much as the grab and go. The only thing that divide's them for me, is my planned trips are more often than not two or three days.

Other than that it's all fishing.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I'm OCD about trip planning. I would put the SAS to shame, even have a checklist! Grab and go trips never seem to work out for me.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
As Ray has said-- Both !!

Well thought out day are good especially if you get a result, but then again a spontaneous days ( or should I say early morning or late evening ) can be equally as good.

Although I like being there, it's nice to catch something ?

Bob

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
A planned trip or an impromptu visit can both be enjoyable and productive, but the build up to an opening day tench campaign on a water with a preserved closed season takes some beating as the tension mounts as the day approaches. Which swim to opt for, pre-baiting, scanning for fish movements in the days or weeks before. Its like dambusters without the bouncing bombs.